Negotiating how much?

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

When checking the real estate prices most time there are listed "price negotiable". 

How strong can be the negotiation in the Philippines? Only slightly or can be taken out the sledgehammer? One factor is if someone can pay spot cash at once which results quite often in a discount. A real discount seems to be between 5% and 20% with an average around 8% to 11%

Examples: House and lot is listed as 6M PHP negotiable. A precalculation results in a more realistic price around 5M PHP.
With slight negotiation a barter would probably be started around 4.8M to 5M PHP, and the meeting price will be around 5.3M to 5.5M PHP.
With sledgehammer method starting at 4M PHP to meet at 5M PHP. But the seller can say that this 4M is far too low and he will no longer make any business with you.

With rentals it looks similar to barter the rental per month down if staying longer time.

Which negotiating method would be better in the Philippines?

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

No reason to look at or ask the 'asking price' until you look at the property and decide what it is worth to you. Then you can use your 20% rule and under bid yourself (or the asking price in the extremely unlikely event it is lower than your price - which probably means you missed a major problem somewhere).

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A lot depends on the seller and his family. I've offered well below asking price on some properties and the seller has accepted yet I was the one that never went through with it, and again I've offered just under and been knocked back due to other family members expecting their share of the profits to be less. 

The best way of judging the discount is by the amount of similar properties for sale and how long it's been advertised. I viewed apartments on Boracay within a resort. Most apartments were listed about 7m peso. I found two apartments that had been joined by an internal door for sale in the same building. Owned by an old foreigner who hadn't stayed in it for 2 years as he moved home for health reasons. I had no intention of buying them but offered 8.5m and had the offer accepted. In theory I could have bricked the door up and had 2 seperate apartments. I did my homework and decided I'd probably struggle to sell one of them as the individual apartments appeared to never sell. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I once asked a silly man who paid over the Odds for land, would you pay that for this now? NOPE was his reply I said well my Friend land is only the value of what you want to pay. You see he wanted to sell and had priced himself way out of the game, Buying is OK but let's not forget resale is twice as hard without losing any money  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 3

ClearSky
Posted
Posted

IMHO I believe a house that foreigners will want to buy will likely only sell to another foreigner. Local ppl in those price ranges often time will select a small office building or very small business building in city and live in an upstairs apartment instead of a nicer house on a side street. There are always some exceptions.

As for how to negotiate, you won't get the best price until you have walked away at least once. Probably seller will get annoyed w/ you also. When you offer low, be silent until they speak.

Unless you must have a certain house, keep trying until you get a great deal. It can be done.

One thing you can do is ask your bank (in the Philippines) how much they would pawn the house for. Seller is not going to take less than that unless there is some problem.

You probably already know, but watch out for the paperwork if you buy, really really watch out for the paper work.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

None of this applies to buying from imediate family .

Top price always i am thinking.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, stevewool said:

None of this applies to buying from imediate family .

Top price always i am thinking.

Depends on how you treated them before Steve.