van hire

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

hi, can anyone recommend a decent van hire company? one around QC north EDSA would be good. also, how easy is it to get a local licence? cheers

Gary D
Posted
Posted

A local licence depends on your visa status. The law changed last year so that you now need to be a resident to get a local licence. That's the official line, now this can vary from LTO to LTO. Ask and you may get lucky. Hiring a van, no idea. Ask around everyone will know a man with a van. Oh and you can drive for 90 days after you enter the Philippines on your foriegn licence.

• Thanks 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

thanks. i knew about the 90 days because i've driven before. i don't have a visa although i am married to a filipino. not sure what status that gives me. anyway, would prefer to go through a reliable company, one which is aware of things like insurance.

cheers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DirkSquirrel said:

i don't have a visa although i am married to a filipino. not sure what status that gives me.

That is probably the one year "visa waiver" that we call a Balikbayan privilege.  It may be enough to get your drivers license.  No harm in trying.  But we foreigners can only get a non-commercial license for automobiles and motorcycles. (AFAIK anyway).

• Thanks 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is probably the one year "visa waiver" that we call a Balikbayan privilege.  It may be enough to get your drivers license.  No harm in trying.  But we foreigners can only get a non-commercial license for automobiles and motorcycles. (AFAIK anyway).

ok cool. well we've been married for eight years and been in and out of the country. not sure whether that would affect it. van for moving stuff to a new, not a permanent "gig". cheers

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Legally you need something like a 13a spouce visa or SRRV. Occassionally some have managed to get a licence but I don't know how one would stand up to closer scrutiny. Personally I would go for a van with driver.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

thanks. i knew about the 90 days because i've driven before. i don't have a visa although i am married to a filipino. not sure what status that gives me. anyway, would prefer to go through a reliable company, one which is aware of things like insurance.

cheers

It appears that you're going to get mixed answers as you say you dont have a visa but you must have something to be here so please enlighten us to what is allowing your stay, tourist waiver, 30 days plus extensions, 13a ? Balikbayan? 

As for the van, often you will find multi cabs or vans for hire with driver but how much stuff do you need to move? 

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It appears that you're going to get mixed answers as you say you dont have a visa but you must have something to be here so please enlighten us to what is allowing your stay, tourist waiver, 30 days plus extensions, 13a ? Balikbayan? 

As for the van, often you will find multi cabs or vans for hire with driver but how much stuff do you need to move? 

we live in hong kong

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

we live in hong kong

English is not your first language ? 

• Haha 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

English is not your first language ? 

why do you ask that? are you checking my grammar?