Christmas Decorations

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I grabbed Queenie's post below from the Christmas Gift post that seemed to turn towards decorating.

Putting outdoor lights up on houses and having a Christmas tree is a long standing tradition in the U.S. and somewhat popular in the Philippines.  I have fond childhood memories of helping my dad put up the outdoor lights, buying a real Christmas tree, and helping to decorate it.  We would usually reserve a specific evening to get the tree and decorate it.  A family affair.

When I was older and single, many years I did not have a tree or lights.  I was somewhat like the scrooges who posted about it.  :whistling:  Yes, Christmas is highly commercialized, but it is up to you to make good times and nice memories in the midst of that.  I agree with Queenie;  it would be very boring without some decorations, etc.

And now I have 3 kids and I want them to have fond Christmas memories.  It is not all about the size and cost of gifts.  For kids, it's about surprise, wonderment, family and several other nice things.

My wife loves to do arts and crafts, and that includes Christmas decorating.  She makes a lot of original decorations and we buy them too.  The kids love it and we have already been out to look at Christmas lights in the area.  Subic Bay puts up a lot of lights that are very nice.  We have quite a bit of outdoor lighting and it was not much work for us because we have the yard guy put them up.  Here are a couple of pictures of our tree this year.  Post your pictures!

P1340306 (2).JPG  P1340292 (2).JPG

Little Leila doing her best Santa Ho Ho Ho belly laugh!

P1340301 (2).JPG

On 11/26/2017 at 10:58 AM, Queenie O. said:

I don't know--If we didn't do something it would be rather dull and uneventful I would think.  I found a very big but not expensive white Christmas tree that just came on display in October at Metro, so I grabbed it.  I brought some favorite ornaments/decorations from my past life, and purchased a lot of inexpensive little decorations and light sets from the Chinese discount store in nearby Bogo City.  I really did it mostly just for myself, but my husband enjoys them lit up at night too. I've had plenty of time to set it up and will take them down at my leisure too--not under duress and in a time shortage from when I used to work, and was always pressed for time during the holidays.

The past couple of months we've been picking up some clothing, small simple food baskets/cookie containers and little girl's umbrellas for some nearby neighbors and children, and some t-shirts and inexpensive watches, dresses and toys for some immediate relatives (6) not including us, that will come by for lunch a few days before Christmas. My husband will cook. All service people--the newspaper delivery man, water guys, mechanics, trash pick-up people and my hairdresser and staff will get a yearly thank you gift of cash. 

We have candies and change ready for the many carolers, who get given on a sliding scale based on the look of  the group. We have a few electric stars hung outside20171126_095405.jpg ready, but not  lit yet, and so far no carolers yet.

For my husband and I, we'll just have a nice Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day meal that I'll happily20171113_082515.jpg prepare. Just a box of imported chocolates for me that I want, and something from Ace Hardware for my husband. Mellow and and intimate and what we want for ourselves this year. I'm learning over time that I don't have to give up part of my past favorite traditions just because I'm in a new time and place now.

Everyone does things differently, and no right/best way to do the holidays I guess.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Little Leila doing her best Santa Ho Ho Ho belly laugh!

Great tree decorations OMW! When my son was a child he was the biggest fan of Christmas, and always got excited by all the traditions surrounding the holiday, including putting up outdoor lights outside with his Dad too. 

Just today I was thinking about your girls, and wishing that they lived around me, (or vice versa) so that they could visit and enjoy my  lights and fun childlike ornaments!

They seem like they'd appreciate and be fun to be around! :santa3: I hope that Santa is good to them this year!

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

My wife here loves to decorate the house for Christmas.  In October she started showing me what she was doing while Skyping w/me back in snowland. She made some Philippine traditional Christmas trees, that she learned back in her school days, out of Palm leaf ribs wound in white crepe paper, bowed out and bound at points and then hung with ornaments. That plus the usual decor and many strings of lights and stars , etc. made the place come alive and happy-happy for us and the neighbors to enjoy. But what is most important to her is to put together a small packet of sweets + a P20 note for her close neighbor friends' children  to enhance their Christmas. Its often the small things in life that make it both tolerable and enjoyable.

Speaking of the 'small things in life', ... that I tolerate and do not enjoy......well, I'm winning the battle.... been finger rolling a batch of micro-ants all day that found their way to my computer table. Time to make a batch of boraxo sweets for them I guess. It is the 'giving season' after all.:cornflakes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

My wife here loves to decorate the house for Christmas.  In October she started showing me what she was doing while Skyping w/me back in snowland. She made some Philippine traditional Christmas trees, that she learned back in her school days, out of Palm leaf ribs wound in white crepe paper, bowed out and bound at points and then hung with ornaments. That plus the usual decor and many strings of lights and stars , etc. made the place come alive and happy-happy for us and the neighbors to enjoy. But what is most important to her is to put together a small packet of sweets + a P20 note for her close neighbor friends' children  to enhance their Christmas. Its often the small things in life that make it both tolerable and enjoyable.

Speaking of the 'small things in life', ... that I tolerate and do not enjoy......well, I'm winning the battle.... been finger rolling a batch of micro-ants all day that found their way to my computer table. Time to make a batch of boraxo sweets for them I guess. It is the 'giving season' after all.:cornflakes:

I think we as westerners have lost the true spirit of Christmas, making ornaments were a big part of our christmas when we were young. And the little parcels of sweets and a sixpence was the highlight of getting a present. Nowadays if it's not a expensive toy the bottom lip drops and they go off sulking, that is one of the things I like about the PI's, their happy with whatever they have or are given. :12:

As for the ants, try a spiny anteater, eco friendly and a wonderful pet, no-one will pick him up and pinch him. :hystery:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here are a few pictures of the elaborately decorated Halloween house, now decorated for Christmas.  Not very good pics; taken out of my car window with engine running.

20171212_192031 (2).jpg  20171212_192040 (2).jpg

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 11/28/2017 at 10:35 AM, OnMyWay said:

I have fond childhood memories of helping my dad put up the outdoor lights, buying a real Christmas tree, and helping to decorate it.  We would usually reserve a specific evening to get the tree and decorate it.  A family affair.

Yes, Christmas is highly commercialized, but it is up to you to make good times and nice memories in the midst of that.  I agree with Queenie;  it would be very boring without some decorations, etc.

And now I have 3 kids and I want them to have fond Christmas memories.  It is not all about the size and cost of gifts.  For kids, it's about surprise, wonderment, family and several other nice things.

This just makes my mind return to my childhood Christmas' also.  Sorta sounds like the making of another Peanuts Christmas or  Norman Rockwell paintings.:4502:   I hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas.:christmas_emoticons_187:

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Here are a few pictures of the elaborately decorated Halloween house, now decorated for Christmas.  Not very good pics; taken out of my car window with engine running.

20171212_192031 (2).jpg  20171212_192040 (2).jpg

WOW!!!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For the last 5 years there has been the annual Christmas Light Fight TV show, some fantastic displays at personal homes.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight/about-the-show

• Like 1