SRRV -worth it or not?

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Again I dont know why you are saying my research as I researched nothing. 

As you said, read and reread, my bad and jumping the gun, my apologies JGF, my bad for not reading Dave's post correctly. Dave has a good memory or time to research, a leaf in the book perhaps and yes while we will all be slapped from time to time the lesson is there for me/all to observe.

Back to the post, while the SRRV will suit some will not fit all.

Cheers, Steve.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Dave has a good memory

Ginkgo biloba:  Ginkgo improves blood flow to the brain and may help ease a number of circulation problems, including vascular dementia 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ginkgo biloba:  Ginkgo improves blood flow to the brain and may help ease a number of circulation problems, including vascular dementia 

But shouldn't be taken with any medication that thins the blood like asprin, ibuprofen, warfarin etc.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

JGF: I thought you were an old pro in stopping people from push your button. :hystery: Steve be nice, I think JGF has a lot on his plate and can't remember all posts, he's like an old mother hen trying to keep all her chickens in order. :hystery:

Now back to the post: I have read quite a few posts on this subject, even going back in other threads. What I have found is no matter what subject, the PI's laws change, as I see regularly. Other people, long term, short term, casual readers, etc,  put their two bob's worth in as they see it. Now the only way as I see it, make inquiries at the proper places. By all means, I enjoy reading all inputs on all subjects. :thumbsup:

Saying that, there is good information on this forum, but at the end of the day it all comes down to circumstances. An i might not be dotted the same as another persons but this forum gives a rough version of what is required. No-one is 100% correct and, I for one only use the posts as a guide. :morning1:

Here he is :28: let's all join him.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Aldo Leopold
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone.  New to this forum, but have been living here the past 2 years.   This thread has been very helpful, thank you all for your contributions.   I'm a semi-retired 52yo single male and don't have anyone in the mix that I'll be marrying, ha. 

Have been pondering the idea of an SRRV and went to PRA today to ask some clarifying questions.  One (new?) thing I was told today by a PRA rep was that the 20k time deposit can only be used for the *last* payment for any condo purchase.  Is this a new thing?  This really sucks, imo....because what if you buy at a pre-sale amount.  

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I've done the math (and read through this thread), and with my situation, it will be cheaper (and lower hassle) to just keep living here on a tourist visa.  And, I don't mind going to the Makati satellite office...I've gotten to know the two main people there and am treated pretty well, ha.

I think I'll just go for a quota visa next January.  I've also heard that bringing over 50k will help...which I plan to do, given it's not tied to PRA reqs and can be used/sent back upon receipt of the Quota visa.  I like the flexibility there.  

But, one thing that the SRRV offers that I like is the 7k importation allowance.  I'd like to bring some of my things over from the States.  I read that some of you have sent stuff via Balikbayan box.  Wondering if anyone could share a bit more on that?   Any restrictions?   Any useful website(s) I can review?

Thanks a lot!

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I'm a bit confused. 

Can someone explain the benifit of the "Quota visa" over the "SRRV classic" 

I' planning my retirement for 3 years. I'll be in and out of the country up to that point. 

I want the best option available to me and as I am from Ireland I doubt that there is much demand on the quota 50 per year from Ireland. I imagine I'll qualify for it if it' better than the SRRV 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

the benefit of the "Quota visa" over the "SRRV classic"

The quota visa was explained to me as in immigrant visa (8 or 9 years ago).  It would give similar status to what we, in Canada, would call "landed immigrant" with the exception that you still cannot own land or vote or do any of the other things that "filipinos only" are allowed to do.

Here are the requirements

Here (at bottom of page) is the fee note that you still have to get an ACR card every year according to that page.  It was not a requirement back when I was considering it.  The annual ACR card makes it seem like a glorified tourist visa now.

I never investigated the SRRV but the quota is not a retirement visa so more suited to a younger person who wants to work or start a business.  Can you do that on an SRRV

• Like 1

codermonkey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I heard the Quota visas were extremely limited in their number, so possibly you might not obtain one in any given year.

Quota

Who can apply?

Nationals of countries which have diplomatic relations with the Philippines and grant the Filipinos the same immigration privileges under the principle of reciprocity which shall not be in excess of fifty (50) of any one nationality or without nationality for any one calendar year

SRRV

1. Option to retire permanently. You can live, work, and study in the Philippines.

SRRV is available from age 35.

Edited by codermonkey

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Assuming you can get either. A SRRV or Quota. 

Which one is best and why. 

• 4 weeks later...
DonnyQ
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, topcat72m said:

Assuming you can get either. A SRRV or Quota. 

Which one is best and why. 

Quota is better, because it is residency.