SRRV -worth it or not?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Was looking for some input on this please.

You asked so here's my 2 cents. In perfect hindsight I would have stuck with the BB, it's absolutely free and you never have to deal with BI. As time goes on you'll appreciate that more and more. The only caveat is you have to leave once a year. Call it a sanity check. No Probationary/Permanent nonsense. As for the SRRV, I stopped reading at the $1400 "application fee". 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

The PI still own the land it is only leased to foreign countries then released and if that lease is not honoured by the foreign country who has a lease agreement with the PI, it doesn't matter whether your PI or not, you could be in a bit of trouble, monetary wise.

Many of the lease holders are Filipinos and they also get in trouble with the leases.  Whenever we see a sign on a property "Under SBMA Control" it means that the lessee has not fulfilled their obligation and SBMA has "repossessed" it.  The latest big one is a college right behind my daughter's school.  As of now, the students are screwed.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/189256-sbma-shuts-down-school-comteq-unpaid-rent

Sorry, getting off-topic.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The other big benefit of the SRRV Visa is that you shipment of household goods is tax exempt up to a $7,000 limit. For me this benefit offset the cost of keeping $10,000 in a Philippines bank earning 1% interest. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

I've not heard of it being retrospective which in your case it would need to be.

I am having it checked Gary.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

The other big benefit of the SRRV Visa is that you shipment of household goods is tax exempt up to a $7,000 limit. For me this benefit offset the cost of keeping $10,000 in a Philippines bank earning 1% interest. 

Not an issue for me as we already sent our BB boxes months ago, we received them tax free.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MikeB said:

You asked so here's my 2 cents. In perfect hindsight I would have stuck with the BB, it's absolutely free and you never have to deal with BI. As time goes on you'll appreciate that more and more. The only caveat is you have to leave once a year. Call it a sanity check. No Probationary/Permanent nonsense. As for the SRRV, I stopped reading at the $1400 "application fee". 

Yes I see your point, whilst I agree mostly, there are a few problems.  First being whenever you travel, the costs are doubled as you have to have spouse with you.  That does not suit me, as I travel mainly back to Oz solely.  Getting a visa to Oz is a total rob as my  fellow Aussies will no doubt agree with.  If there was a 30 day free period like most other countries, then it would not be such an issue.

Also getting an ACR card, when I went to BI (should be BS) all they were interested in was getting me onto a 13A.  

I agree the application fee then the yearly slog, which is not much less than 12 months of tourist visa extensions, make it a lot less attractive.  But my main objection is $10kUS in the hands of Philippine banks.

Edited by mogo51
typo
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Don't mean to hijack the topic but why do you say that ? 

I did not see Steve''s answer as trying to 'hijack' the post.  In fact the last part of his answer appears to support what I was looking for.  This I think is what the person I spoke to was alluding to.

Whilst I cannot do the same thing that Steve is able to do, good luck to him if he has circumnavigated the hurdles.  

I thought this was a forum where members could voice their views?  In this case it was clear he was trying to put forward his situation and help with my query.  So I do not understand JGF's response or its purpose.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I did not see Steve''s answer as trying to 'hijack' the post.  In fact the last part of his answer appears to support what I was looking for.  This I think is what the person I spoke to was alluding to.

Whilst I cannot do the same thing that Steve is able to do, good luck to him if he has circumnavigated the hurdles.  

I thought this was a forum where members could voice their views?  In this case it was clear he was trying to put forward his situation and help with my query.  So I do not understand JGF's response or its purpose.

Ron

It was me who said I was hijacking the topic to ask why he thought marriage in Australia wont be recognised so please read and as you can see you are quoting what I said so yes we can have a say or view but you have read the posts wrong. 

Just to add, if members are missing where they last left the topic I posted ways to eliminate that HERE

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Added wee bit

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sorry just did not understand why you said marriage in Australia wont be recognised. Never mind.

Sorry JGF, perhaps I wrote that in the wrong sense, thought it was Contextual but to clarify, yes same sex marriage while not recognised in Oz yet may/or may not be accepted soon and if it is well and good for those that want to go that way (it's just a piece of paper in my opinion not so different to a de facto set up in most western countries. OMO)

I was saying that even if legally married/same sex couples in Oz or from another accepting country I have sincere doubts as to the credibility and acceptance of such within the Philippines with regards to their current laws. Foreigner with a Filipino national? As said this appears to have worked in our,,,,, no my favour/security to be honest. "So far, lol."

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Sorry JGF, perhaps I wrote that in the wrong sense, thought it was Contextual but to clarify, yes same sex marriage while not recognised in Oz yet may/or may not be accepted soon and if it is well and good for those that want to go that way (it's just a piece of paper in my opinion not so different to a de facto set up in most western countries. OMO)

I was saying that even if legally married/same sex couples in Oz or from another accepting country I have sincere doubts as to the credibility and acceptance of such within the Philippines with regards to their current laws. Foreigner with a Filipino national? As said this appears to have worked in our,,,,, no my favour/security to be honest. "So far, lol."

Cheers, Steve.

Ah OK, I did not realise you were talking about same sex marriage so thats where the misunderstanding came from. Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

• Like 2