Mindanao

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Security , is the same as I have in U.K. , apart from the dogs who will go back to U.K. If my wife wants to go...... CCTV most of us have, and high wall to stop people getting out who got in , if you understand my point. 

Of cause use not super safe place , but where is ????, we have condo in makati and have never seen it. I like the quiet life and here is purfect for that......

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

I would not go to cotabato or sulu or zambwonga , but where we are as I said is nice place, we go Davao when we want , gensan great also. But interesting to hear other prospective. Where are you living ?????

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

Where are you living ?????

Jolo :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

We have other members who live in Mindanao and they love it there as you do.  Each to their own, but the bottom line is:  Most of our embassies are telling us (foreigners) to stay out of there so if you go there you are on your own.  That's freedom :thumbsup:   Enjoy it.  I think its great to hear first hand reports from people living there.  We get to see the side of the coin that is pleasant.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Simonuk said:

I have been here 12 times and have had a long holiday of 6 months

So do you live there now? For how long? Reason I'm asking is often foreigners see things quite differently after living day after day for a number of years. As compared to visits and holidays. And before you ask, I never set foot in Mindanao, lived 5 and a half years in Phils, mostly Cebu province. 

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

We have built our own home to what we wanted , we have all the goodies we miss from home shipped here. The only thing I miss is communication , here very few speak English , which surprises me , Arabic also rarely spoken.

its a very laid back way of life, thanks to the people who replied thx 

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Depends on my wife , now house finished think she wants London for a while, I'm happy here. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

We have lived here in CDO for the three years and have no reservations beyond the normal cautious attitude to security. That would apply to wherever we lived. Martial law seems to have had a positive effect. The only ones who seem to be affected by it are the ones with something to hide. I have always felt safe here and found everyone to be incredibly friendly and helpful. It seems no less safe than living in London, Manchester, Berlin, Nice, Madrid etc. etc. etc. etc etc etc etc 

Ken 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Simonuk said:

Depends on my wife , now house finished think she wants London for a while, I'm happy here. 

Can you please quote who you are replying to as it becomes hard to follow. :thumbsup:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Simonuk,

It always makes me smile when people talk about places, then mention the security they surround themselves with, like you mentioned...

Is it to keep people in or to keep people out?

My wife's family live in a small community not far from Iligan City, she will be travelling home in two weeks time. This will be the first time I have decided not to join her.My reason being, the close proximity to Marawi.

Yes Mindanao has some beautiful places but unfortunately I have never had the chance to see some of them because of the risks involved as a foreign tourist.

You mentioned Samal island which I had the pleasure to visit, yet for those less fortunate people who were kidnapped it turn out bad.

We are aware of the risks in any major city these days throughout the world, as was stated earlier if the foreign office say don't go, you are not insured whatever the circumstances, for me that is not worth the risk.

I hope you continue to live in peace and enjoy your time there regards JB

Edited by Kuya John
pargraphing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1