Power Induced Sexual Misconduct

bows00
Posted
Posted

The US news is currently flooded with incidents of sexual misconduct, stemming from the allegations on a Hollywood producer, and most recently, on a popular morning TV host.  It's a condition that has been around forever, where men of power take advantage of aspiring women... and this got me thinking of my near future life in the Philippines...

Bottom line... wealth and status is power... and that power brings out the best and worst of us all.  That power amplifies who we really are.  If you are a sexual predator, it gives you a sense of power to do whatever you please with women with a false sense of security that there will be no ramifications of your actions.  On the other hand, if you are truly a respectful gentleman, that respect will be mirrored, and you will be desired...

In the Philippines, in most cases, the foreign expat is automatically labeled with wealth.   How will you use that power?

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's a daily occurrence lately. So today was the downfall of Matt Lauer and Garrison Keillor. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

It's a purge.

It's time for us real men to take a stand against sexual harassment.

1509719270309.gif

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

"In the Philippines, in most cases, the foreign expat is automatically labeled with wealth.   How will you use that power?"

A dark topic. I have never associated wealth with abuse and treat my fellow man exactly the same way as they should treat me. The Philippines have laws too and as a foreigner we must abide to a greater level than the locals. Good luck with the power scenario as once here you are fodder for the cannon.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

men of power take advantage of aspiring women

I find myself shaking my head over that.  I find men of power are doing the same thing with women as those of us who are "powerless" like to do.  Difference is that aspiring women can get a load of cash and publicity by "outing" men of power and they get diddly squat for tattling on a guy like me.  I bet you if I fell into a fortune and suddenly got rich and famous that a lot of women would 'remember' stuff years after it was done and dusted.  I bet that goes for many of us here.

So I believe you may have the right approach but the wrong victim.  JMHO.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Living in the land of businessmen regularly having mistresses, mmmm.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I find myself shaking my head over that.  I find men of power are doing the same thing with women as those of us who are "powerless" like to do.  Difference is that aspiring women can get a load of cash and publicity by "outing" men of power and they get diddly squat for tattling on a guy like me.  I bet you if I fell into a fortune and suddenly got rich and famous that a lot of women would 'remember' stuff years after it was done and dusted.  I bet that goes for many of us here.

So I believe you may have the right approach but the wrong victim.  JMHO.

That is somewhat an over simplification of the problem.  Whilst there is merit to some degree of your  overview, the problem goes much further.

There is a need to overhaul laws concerning allegations of sexual misconduct whether it be by persons of wealth and status, or religious figures  or whoever.  There needs to be a statute of limitations on such matters first and foremost, with the exception of when it relates to minors.

Where an adult suddenly comes forward after 10, 15 or 20 years and makes allegations (whether or not pertaining to a person of wealth or status, then I see no logic in pursuing them. They had adequate avenues of complaint at the time the alleged offences took place.  I am always sceptical of women/men as the case may be, jumping on the 'gravy train'.

Allegations of sexual assault, rape etc. are inevitably one on one situations (except gang rapes etc) and difficult to investigate.  However, modern forensic skills are well advanced from what was my experience.  So at least the chance of conviction is very much higher.  But a very difficult field to tread all the same.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

But a very difficult field to tread all the same.

Moral is Keep it your POCKET :huh:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, mogo51 said:

That is somewhat an over simplification of the problem.  Whilst there is merit to some degree of your  overview, the problem goes much further.

There is a need to overhaul laws concerning allegations of sexual misconduct whether it be by persons of wealth and status, or religious figures  or whoever.  There needs to be a statute of limitations on such matters first and foremost, with the exception of when it relates to minors.

Where an adult suddenly comes forward after 10, 15 or 20 years and makes allegations (whether or not pertaining to a person of wealth or status, then I see no logic in pursuing them. They had adequate avenues of complaint at the time the alleged offences took place.  I am always sceptical of women/men as the case may be, jumping on the 'gravy train'.

Allegations of sexual assault, rape etc. are inevitably one on one situations (except gang rapes etc) and difficult to investigate.  However, modern forensic skills are well advanced from what was my experience.  So at least the chance of conviction is very much higher.  But a very difficult field to tread all the same.

Unfortunately most (though not all) of the allegations are not in the criminal justice system. The men are being accused of "inappropriate" though not always illegal behavior - or at least difficult to prove illegal behavior. Having just left corporate America, I can tell you there are environments where all you have to do is cut a loud fart and you'll be reported to HR. Corporations are now so terrified of lawsuits and bad publicity that they would rather fire the person immediately, rather than risk their corporate image.

Now something that is genuinely criminal is different. Go to the authorities and file, even if years later. If the guy committed a crime, he deserves the punishment.

But this "he's using his power to take advantage of poor innocent hotties..." I am skeptical about.

As Jack Nicholson said, "If men are honest, everything they do and everywhere they go is for a chance to see women." Now all you have to do is replace the word "see" with - well, you know, and you've got the truth.

• Like 5