Dengue Vaccine

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

A 2011 Rolling Stone article described Jones as "a giant in America's conspiracy subculture,"

That from his own "infowars" site.  So fake news vs conspiracy theorist depends on your point of view.

Yes, Rolling Stone is more fake news and Infowars is the conspiracy subculture!  :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Rape_on_Campus

• Like 1

Howard
Posted
Posted (edited)

Conspiracy theory or theorist was a term created by the CIA as a way to discredit anyone who disagreed with the Warren Commission report. I believe Alex Jones revels in the Moniker of Conspiracy theorist. Fake news is based on quotes and beliefs of many men throughout history from Lenin to Goebbels  in that "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself" This is practiced by major news outlets in the US  such as CNN, MSNBC, the New York times, Washington Post etc. Given a choice between the two, I tend to trust Alex Jones.

Edited by Howard
grammar

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OK

Let's stick with the dengue vaccination please.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

A quick side note regarding vaccines. A major US news network reported that the flu vaccine is only 10% effective this year, yet encouraged people to continue getting it. FYI, vaccines are not 100% safe. There are certain individuals or medical conditions where a vaccine can cause illness or be a health risk. To continue to promote getting a vaccine when it is only 10% effective is very irresponsible. Of course the major US news networks make most of their money from pharmaceutical company advertising.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

A quick side note regarding vaccines. A major US news network reported that the flu vaccine is only 10% effective this year, yet encouraged people to continue getting it. FYI, vaccines are not 100% safe. There are certain individuals or medical conditions where a vaccine can cause illness or be a health risk. To continue to promote getting a vaccine when it is only 10% effective is very irresponsible. Of course the major US news networks make most of their money from pharmaceutical company advertising.

If the flu vaccine is only 10% effective this year it's not the fault on the vaccine it's because when they guessed which one to use for this year they guessed the wrong one. They can't get it right every year. It's not a reflection on the goodness of the vaccine.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

They can't get it right every year. It's not a reflection on the goodness of the vaccine.

Quite true and that is why I would always suspect an ulterior motive.  Most of us here on the Forum are dependent on our meds whether we want to admit that or not  It is important to know certain things BUT having said that, should we believe all we are told and more important what we are not :89:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

If the flu vaccine is only 10% effective this year it's not the fault on the vaccine it's because when they guessed which one to use for this year they guessed the wrong one. They can't get it right every year. It's not a reflection on the goodness of the vaccine.

If you go back and read my post again you will see that I was referring to this year.

For me, I only took the flu vaccine once. When I was 19 in US Navy boot camp. They asked if I was allergic to chicken or eggs. I said yes, as a child, they gave me the shot anyway. And I had an allergic reaction to it with my hands and feet going completely numb. My point is that the drug companies and most doctors push very hard for everyone to get vaccinated for almost every damn thing. But vaccines are not 100% safe and effective. Each vaccine should be evaluated on a case by case basis for its effectiveness and safety, especially if you have existing medical conditions which could make this particular vaccine less effective or safe for you as an individual.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I read and understood your post. I think it is you that misunderstood mine. There are several strains of flu virus and matching vaccines. It takes a period of time to product a sufficient quantity of any given flu vacine so the world health organisation has to predict which strain will likely appear in any given region each coming year. The USA , Europe and the Far East will have different strains at any given time. The USA vacine will not work in the Philippine unless by chance both regions have the same strain at the same time, very unlikely to happen. Because the best guess has to be made many months in advance, one year there is always the chance they will guess wrong hence the 10%. A good year may be 80-90% effective. The vacine is grown in eggs hence being asked if you are allergic to chicken or eggs. This is nothing to do with the safety of the vacine more the stupidity of the person administering it.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

I read and understood your post. I think it is you that misunderstood mine. There are several strains of flu virus and matching vaccines. It takes a period of time to product a sufficient quantity of any given flu vacine so the world health organisation has to predict which strain will likely appear in any given region each coming year. The USA , Europe and the Far East will have different strains at any given time. The USA vacine will not work in the Philippine unless by chance both regions have the same strain at the same time, very unlikely to happen. Because the best guess has to be made many months in advance, one year there is always the chance they will guess wrong hence the 10%. A good year may be 80-90% effective. The vacine is grown in eggs hence being asked if you are allergic to chicken or eggs. This is nothing to do with the safety of the vacine more the stupidity of the person administering it.

I did understand your first reply to me. I was already aware of how they try to predict which strains will be dominate in the coming flu season. I wasn't aware that they develop different vaccines for different parts of the world. My point still stands that for this year in the US, with the vaccine only 10% effective, there is not much incentive to be vaccinated.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

How about dengue fever vaccines. :89: