Looking for suggestions on where to stay in El Nido

Howard
Posted
Posted

The wife and I are planning a trip to El Nido in a couple of months. We've never been there, so I'm looking for some suggestions on a decent place to stay. I'm hoping for a not too expensive place near or on the beach as we plan to swim and do some snorkeling. Any suggestions are appreciated!  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm just back from El Nido and have been there 4 times in the last 2 years. My first choice would be the El Nido Beach Hotel closely followed by Rossana's cottages. Best to book now as they fill up fast. Sadly El Nido is slipping downhill and going the way of Boracay with building work going on everywhere and the usual tours getting extremely busy. I'd give it another year and you'd have to pay me to go there.

For the smokers they've clamped down and for those who used to like the bars with live music they've turned two of them into more trendy restaurant type places and the final one they've built a glass front on it. The band now play indoors and the smokers sit on the beach stinking the place out. No more chilling on a bean bag listening to the bands.

Escape the crowds and pay a visit to Nacpan beach. It's stunning there but the road is a serious dirt track 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Howard said:

The wife and I are planning a trip to El Nido in a couple of months. We've never been there, so I'm looking for some suggestions on a decent place to stay. I'm hoping for a not too expensive place near or on the beach as we plan to swim and do some snorkeling. Any suggestions are appreciated!  

I stayed here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9595743

Service was good, provided by a smiling Filipina--the fattest one I have ever seen (you should see her on the back seat of a motorcycle, it defies physics).

It's got a rustic look, but comfortable by Filipino standards. The room was clean, had aircon and TV. Right on the beach. You can walk out back and go for a swim. And it's quiet, too, with a nice view of the islands offshore.

But it's quiet because it is not right in town. It's about 10 minutes on trike--but the place runs a trike back and forth all day for free. The ride is pleasant enough, and takes you past the beach into the town.

Another con is internet access, it's there, but barely, like a dying man's pulse. It would perk up sometimes, but it wasn't much.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Escape the crowds and pay a visit to Nacpan beach. It's stunning there but the road is a serious dirt track 

If it has been raining heavily (as it had been when I was there), and you don't have a proper dirtbike, it's damned near impassable.

Howard
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm just back from El Nido and have been there 4 times in the last 2 years. My first choice would be the El Nido Beach Hotel closely followed by Rossana's cottages. Best to book now as they fill up fast. Sadly El Nido is slipping downhill and going the way of Boracay with building work going on everywhere and the usual tours getting extremely busy. I'd give it another year and you'd have to pay me to go there.

For the smokers they've clamped down and for those who used to like the bars with live music they've turned two of them into more trendy restaurant type places and the final one they've built a glass front on it. The band now play indoors and the smokers sit on the beach stinking the place out. No more chilling on a bean bag listening to the bands.

Thanks for the recommendations Snowy!👍😋

Howard
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Reboot said:

I stayed here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9595743

Service was good, provided by a smiling Filipina--the fattest one I have ever seen (you should see her on the back seat of a motorcycle, it defies physics).

It's got a rustic look, but comfortable by Filipino standards. The room was clean, had aircon and TV. Right on the beach. You can walk out back and go for a swim. And it's quiet, too, with a nice view of the islands offshore.

But it's quiet because it is not right in town. It's about 10 minutes on trike--but the place runs a trike back and forth all day for free. The ride is pleasant enough, and takes you past the beach into the town.

Another con is internet access, it's there, but barely, like a dying man's pulse. It would perk up sometimes, but it wasn't much.

Thanks Reboot, it looks very nice!👍😀

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Howard said:

Thanks Reboot, it looks very nice!👍😀

Beach is a bit rocky, just so you know.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just 400m to the North of El Nido town beach. I did Coron also but rate El Nido a lot higher. El Nido beach is sandy but due to boats etc I wouldn't recommend swimmong there. Los Cabanos beach 4km South is the one to swim at. Theres an ace zip line there also. 

20171122_134519.jpg

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, Snowy79 said:

Appears they are regulating EI Nido to some extent. 

Plan to ban all vehicles from the streets of El Nido, Palawan

Authorities at the Palawan tourist town of El Nido are considering banning all vehicles from its streets.

If approved, the proposal would see the currently congested town centre declared a “walk zone”.

The idea is being considered by the El Nido Traffic Monitoring Group. Members pointed to the frequent gridlock caused by El Nido’s narrow streets, particularly during peak tourist season.

The group’s head, Joel Rosento , said: “The best solution to decongest our streets is to create an ordinance declaring El Nido as walk zone.” 

Already, two of the town’s busiest streets in the heart of El Nido’s tourist zone have been declared walk zones.

“We implement that policy at night from 6pm to 6am when tourists are strolling around the town after the day-long island tour,” he said.

At the municipal council’s transportation committee meeting this week, Mr Rosento proposed extending the scheme throughout the town, on a 24/7 basis.

“We will designate areas where tricycles and other public utility vehicles can load and unload passengers,” he said.

“Those with private vehicles will be required to have a garage, while heavy-duty vehicles will be given a certain period of time at night when they are allowed to deliver goods, fuel and construction materials.”

In September, we reported how local authorities in the town had taken action on congestion at El Nido’s most popular tourist destinations.

A resolution was adopted to prevent overcrowding in the Big and Small Lagoons and Secret Beach by strictly limiting daily visitor numbers.

Furthermore, the sites are now only open to visitors from 6am to 6pm, with final entry at 5pm.

El Nido has seen its tourist arrivals increase by nearly a third in the last three years. Last year alone, the town welcomed 126,000 visitors.

Protected Area Superintendent Alex Mancio said: “We noticed unpleasant activities happening on these sites, particularly in Big and Small Lagoons wherein boats entering and kayaks operating there are not well-regulated.”

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Good news JGF f they enfirce it, but when I was there a couple of weeks back the roads were all being used 24/7 and the lagoons were overcrowded. To the extent that at one I just stayed on the boat.