Appropriate Filipina Christmas Present? Philippine Christmas Traditions?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

This is in the Culture section as I am wondering NOT about western Christmas expectations, but Christmas expectations in the Philippines.

1)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: your Asawa or Girlfriend?

2)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: Mother-in-law, Parents-in-law, family?

3)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: live-in family (my wife's youngest sister lives with us, we support her going to high school where she is doing well) *note* she is 16 so no I am not setting you up with her LOL

Any other Philippine Christmas Traditions we should know about? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

They don't do Christmas like we do, they follow the true way (To them in their faith) the 3 Kings of January 6th is the true Christmas to oh so many here, as it is in Spain

Gifts are not really in the budget of many but I have always found small token Gifts are well received. Unlike we would maybe not like. We find that a little envelope with a couple of hundred pesos in (well we give 500) to all our Staff is very well pleasing to them ( the Live in Girls) get a bonus from "A" as well any Live out guys & gals are always fed well around this time.

Azon and I don't do the Gift thing as we tend to spoil each other most of time anyway

Each to our own but always remember, if you over spoil them this year watyer goin to do next year :thumbsup:

Oh nearly forgot, plenty of bags of candy and soaps etc for the callers on Christmas day (And they will come to the gate)

we split Rice into 1 kilo bags as handouts, "A" gets lots of goodies (Candy) from the Traders and we bag them like a party Bag. Ours start about 6.30am and it can go on till 3 or 4 pm the afternoon, Mate you can count on at least 30 callers to you gate:whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

watyer :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Christmas present Jack, I often wondered how Aussie language got so far of track. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

This is in the Culture section as I am wondering NOT about western Christmas expectations, but Christmas expectations in the Philippines.

Its up to you :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

If your wife's family is poor (probably the norm for most of us) their tradition is most likely the best family dinner they can manage but little or no presents.

Janet's 13 year old sister and cousin (the twins) were over for the weekend. We were at Robinsons and I asked "What are you giving your mothers for Xmas?" They pretended they had nose bleeds but knew what I was asking. Finally they acknowledged they had no money for presents and unlike little kids they hadn't made a gift at school. "Well it doesn't matter that much whether you give a gift to your brothers/sisters or even your father, but your mother - that's different." On the spot I decided to conduct an experiment. "I will give you each 100 pesos to spend as you like for a simple gift for your mother." Janet upped the ante, "100 might be tough. How about 125?" Done.

The girls went into the department store and at first looked at perfumes and lotions and feminine stuff. Finally they wandered to the kitchen area and chose matching colorful pots for their mothers. The cost: 120 each, already wrapped. The girls were delighted.

They took the presents back to Southern Cebu and put them under their trees. The next day Janet was speaking to her mother and her mother was like a little kid, trying to get Janet to tell her what was in the package.

Janet has 9 brothers and sisters and 3 nieces and of course a mother and father. Since we now live here for the 1st time we decided to buy each person a present. We set a 200 peso budget for each and in most cases kept to that budget. OK we splurged on her dad for a 450 peso radio ( he always wanted to listen to music when he works at the farm). Her mother was the last present and we were having a tough time deciding. Finally I said, "We cannot just spend 200 on your mom. She does so much for everyone, including us." So we bought her a knife set and real chopping block. 

We then bought canned goods for some aunts/uncles etc. The girls wrapped gift packages with canned sardines, coffee, canned meats, etc.

Our living room is half full with wrapped gifts.

I just figured out what the rich Americans spent for Xmas gifts: about $100. 

But back to the original question: there are no rules - do what you want - and by all means have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was constantly reminded that I was the cheap prick who would not pay for the booster. 

As I said in an earlier post beware what you give this year as it will be expected more next and if you don't,:28: it will end up like this. Bin there and got that told me:56fdd33da67bc_santadance: sometimes you just can't win so I don't bother any more :santahat:

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

The wife sent some cheap jewelry over for her nieces, the nephews asked her what she had bought bought them, ( boys working ). Your fathers health, he'd had a motorbike accident recently and she sent over 40k for hospital expenses. No more questions.  :smile:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2017 at 9:58 AM, AlwaysRt said:

1)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: your Asawa or Girlfriend?

2)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: Mother-in-law, Parents-in-law, family?

3)What is "normal/standard/typical" Christmas present for: live-in family (my wife's youngest sister lives with us, we support her going to high school where she is doing well) *note* she is 16 so no I am not setting you up with her LOL

1. What she wants (within reason) rather buy her a gift she will use, even if it is not a surprise.

2, Nil. 3. Don't have any thankfully.

• Like 1

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I am flying to the Philippines in the morning from Canada...with a 3 night stop over in Bangkok. We have 6 Samsung Tablets packed for the nieces & nephews. Citizen watches for the wife's parents,  Clothes for her 7 siblings and there better halves, also a lot of chocolate and candy. We also shipped 6 boxes that should arrive in the next few days with everyday essentials for them.

• Like 4