The Filipina and aircon (Filipino even)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We have been discussing Air con of late but did not want mix the two Topics.

My Wife (at times) and the Lady Helpers (Maids) that we have and even the Gardener and those that eat with us do not seem to like it when I have the Aircon on at mealtimes, Our daughter will not sit in front of it,

Has anyone else noticed that our Local people seem to prefer the heat? 

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Just the opposite for me the gf will sit in front on the air con with her jacket on. I am always complaining that it is too cold and turning the air con off

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, canadamale said:

Just the opposite for me the gf will sit in front on the air con with her jacket on. I am always complaining that it is too cold and turning the air con off

Well now that is an odd thing, My daughter will have her room like an icebox but not in the Sala, The more I live here the stranger things become:89:

• Haha 1

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, canadamale said:

My Filipina sleeps with the ac on full blast then sleeps under a blanket. I turn it off because it gets too cold. When I wake it's back on and she is covered up. Go figure!

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jeff R Us said:

When I wake it's back on and she is covered up. Go figure!

That's the bit I don't understand, why do they do this?

• Haha 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Whenever my wife spends more than 30 minutes shopping in the R mall for groceries, she exhibits sinus symptoms and says she doesn't like the cold AC places for that reason.  Since we don't need home AC anymore, she has little exposure to strong AC. In airports, her skin is much cooler to the touch than mine for some biological metabolic, genetic or adaptive reason despite being buxom and eating the same diet as me... at my 101 kg. My first wife, an Inuit, produced more body heat than me, this tropical wife... less. Going to an AC theater..... we need to take an extra long sleeve garment for her or she will get too cold to enjoy the movie.

In the far North, I can always tell when I don't have enough calories being processed in my body  now that I am much older..... I can detect cold more easily. Their bodies must also be highly attuned to temp variations, but perhaps for different reasons. The temp band width is very narrow here compared with the 140*F variation at high latitudes. Not sure what the range norms here are exactly, but most locals seldom experience much cold and react quite differently than temperate climate ancestry peoples. Many might be maladaptive to unnatural, artificial AC when taken to the extremes that seem pleasant to northern peoples.

• Like 4

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:
13 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

do this?

14 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jack! Forgot to take my meds.

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

Why is the $64,000 question.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have to turn off the aircon at meal times.  I thought it was because it cools the food and SWMBO likes her food hot.  But only the food she cooks and eats here.  At other places she never says anything about the food being cold.  Anyway, I also like the aircon off because it cools my food so its a win win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1