The Filipina and aircon (Filipino even)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just being a regular visitor to PI my experience has been:

For the first couple of days the AC is on a lower temp, SAO (Short Angry One) will often hide the remote after she turns the temp up.

As time progresses and I become more acclimated I start to turn up the temp and for a couple of days we reach a happy medium - Normally around 24-25C.

A bit later in the visit, depending on the time of the year and where we are, I can normally just sleep with it off, especially if there's a fan.  When this happens I wake up cold, and yes her under the covers but with the AC at about 20!  Nowhere near where she preferred it at the start of my visit!

The irony of the above is that I live in what's officially classified a tropical monsoon climate here in Australia (same as Miami basically). so not too different from much of the Philippines and during the "wet" I normally just run my ceiling fans - I'm not paying for the electricity in a motel :thumbsup:

And yes, when we were staying in a serviced studio where we could sit and eat what we'd cooked, she did turn the AC off.  I have no idea why....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

Sorry Jack! Forgot to take my meds.

Or maybe it is Toooooooooooo cold in your House

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

we reach a happy medium - Normally around 24-25C.

Those are fightin temps!  Anything less than 26 and she starts to turn blue!  She insists the kids are the same as her but I say no, they like it cool like me!

We rarely use our second split but once in a while when my wife is not home, I turn both on 22, turn on Turbo, turn on the electric fans, and bask in the cold air!

At my house in South Florida, the central air was on 24/7 to prevent mold.  I would usually have it set at 22 when home and that seemed mild, not cold.  When not home it would be on 30 or something like that.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

They certainly have different inbuilt thermostats than most Westerners. I get away with wearing a t-shirt at 6c where as I've been eating with the locals and wanted to sit outside as the view was stunning but they had to go indoors as it was too cold at 21c. I'm also shocked to see warm jumpers and thick jackets for sale around town and some locals even wearing them.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would usually have it set at 22 when home and that seemed mild, not cold. 

I'm not sure if its a worldwide recommendation but 24 is from my knowledge the ideal setting to give the best benefit and economically result. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jack Jack Jack......

Simple. Our significant others are hot little Filipinas the ambient temperature is skewed due to that fact.

The important thing to consider is the 🍺 cold. 

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They certainly have different inbuilt thermostats than most Westerners. I get away with wearing a t-shirt at 6c where as I've been eating with the locals and wanted to sit outside as the view was stunning but they had to go indoors as it was too cold at 21c. I'm also shocked to see warm jumpers and thick jackets for sale around town and some locals even wearing them.

When my wife's relatives from Baguio visit they need to have the air con on.  They can't handle it too hot!

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Before my wife came over to Oz I explained the temperature variation in our area (-5 C on winter mornings to a dry heat of 40+ C in the summer months ), I have no aircon but I do have heaters.

She arrived in March, pleasant sort of weather then we went into winter, -3 that year and although  the heaters were on she couldn't absorb the heat and ended up in hospital, nothing major. Their pigheaded and even argued with the doc about her problem about absorbing body heat, socks and jumpers needed.

While shopping, we saw a pair of funny looking woolen bed socks and although she wouldn't admit they might help, instead she said they looked nice and she would wear them of a night,( don't give in love.) The cold showers of a winter morning, I still can't break that habit.

Roll on: summer came and after observing her inability to regulate body temp I suggested an aircon. As I've mentioned before, be careful what you say to your beloved, it's either tears or it's continous trying to persuade you to change your mind. I finally got it out of her why no aircon, the electricity bill was her worry. Never ever try to follow their train of thought, we have solar panels and no bill each quarter.

Now compromise is the solution to this problem, we have a bore and can be hooked up to the house and a bath along with a shower, that's her temp control during hot days, works well.

We are buying when we get over there and I've seen their bathrooms, not much room in them, so we have decided to refurbish it when we get over there. Call me a dirty old man or what but I'll bet two can fit in the shower at one time and the bath will be a double one too, not like our single amenities over here. The wife doesn't know my planes yet. :shades:

By the way I hope you can buy double baths over there?  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Over time my husband adapted to the long cold winters in New England, but neither of us liked them. We mostly run fans around the house here during the day, and it doesn't get too hot during rainy season here.  At night we always sleep year round in medium aircon with a light cotton quilt, because it makes for comfortable and quiet sleep.

It's true Jack--many Filipino relatives can't stand aircon when riding in our vehicle, and overall none of them really like aircon in our house or even a fan on them!  We always like fans going most of the year,  and I don't like getting warm.:smile: I know that I've acclimated some, but will never truly get used to the heat like the locals. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

AC in the bedroom only, here. I spend a lot of time in here at the computer, running a fan. At night, the fan usually gets turned off and the AC is turned on. We usually leave it at 24 or 25.

My wife uses a blanket no matter what the temp! The other evening, the power was out and we were running our little rechargeable fan set on Low to save the charge. I was sweating and she had the blanket on!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1