Whats the Best Way to Send Funds From US to the Philippines?

roddavis
Posted
Posted

:computerrage_40_anim_gif:Ok, I have tried Remitly, Xoom, Western Union, Transferwise, and each service has created problems upon sending. Either I get intense scrutiny

for various ID proofs, major delays and ultimately denied the transaction. Western Union I tried debit, denied. Then I try bank to WU agent. After 2 days then denied

for no apparent reason. Checked with my bank, was not denied by them. Transaction was pending at bank. WU the denied transaction.

Tried sending from self in US and receive by self. Remitly don't like that. Even tried from wife to me, then me to wife. Denied! Can use ATM with no problems here. 

Just hate paying the three associated bank charges on the ATM. In most transfers with the other services been trying to send $3000 from the US. They usually get denied.

Finally got one to work only by sending $1000 with World Remit from wife to brother-in-law. There has to be a better way, and I think one of you expats has got the

right combo of service. I am currently looking at XE, and Ria for transfer. So wise ones, which do you use?

Bank to Back

Debit to self

Debit to wife

Bank to cash?

Could it be sending larger amounts kick off problems (+$3000) or keeping transfers to $1000?  I haven't found the best route yet! What do you do?

BobP
Posted
Posted

Have you asked the various sources why your transfers are being denied?  What do they suggest doing?  I sent money monthly for a period of time to my "gf" in PI in much smaller amounts and never had problems.  I would think the large amount you are sending would be a red flag to them for some reason at the very least.  Try asking each source why your transfers are failing and see what they recommend.  Good luck to you!

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply BobP. I asked Western Union the reason for the denial. They hemmed and hawed a few times, then said it could be various reasons,

Very vague. I think it may be the amount($3000), although allowed, it may be scrutinized a little closer. I'll try again with a lessor amount of a $1000. Could that be it?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I use worldremit from Australia and you can do the same from the US. Never had a problem.

https://www.worldremit.com/en/about-us/united-states

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I use Xoom exclusively and it has always been fast and convenient.

BobP
Posted
Posted

If the person you are speaking to at WU doesn't give you a satisfactory answer as to why yours are being denied, try speaking to their supervisor.  Or, try another source.  Looks like Xoom and worldremit may work for you.  Good luck!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Are you located in the US or the Philippines? If you are in the Philippines, open a USD bank account at a major Philippine bank, I used BPI, and just deposit a check. It will take 3 weeks to clear but there are no fee's.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I really like my Charles Schwab debit ATM card.  Rates are good and all fees are reimbursed at the end of the month. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

I really like my Charles Schwab debit ATM card.  Rates are good and all fees are reimbursed at the end of the month. 

When you are living here full-time that might not be your best option.  At some point Schwab might close your account if they think you are living in PH.  My Fidelity ATM has the same deal but I would only use it in an emergency due to the risk of account closure if I used it on a regular basis.

8 hours ago, earthdome said:

Are you located in the US or the Philippines? If you are in the Philippines, open a USD bank account at a major Philippine bank, I used BPI, and just deposit a check. It will take 3 weeks to clear but there are no fee's.

Checking writing as described is my preferred method, but now BPI and all the banks are charging a $5 deposit fee.  So, almost free but not quite.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Checking writing as described is my preferred method, but now BPI and all the banks are charging a $5 deposit fee.  So, almost free but not quite.

Thanks for correcting me. I had forgot that those check cashing fee's had started recently.