Anti Foreigner sentiment in China 🇨🇳

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We have a close Hong Kong Chinese friend and we know a Chinese + American couple living in Guangzhou. Both are saying the mainland media has been very anti western specifically to do with Foreigners living in China. Root cause is, North Korea, Spartly Islands, or the economic bubble bust taking place in China now? Finding honest reliable analysis of Chinese economics online is difficult.

The currant Filipino president is in the Chinese pocket so future conflict will affect Philippines indirectly but the world economy may take a hit soon. By conflict I don’t mean open war. Clearly a possibility of civil conflict inside China if the bust becomes harsh.

Interesting times.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Probably the media whipping it up just like  I have seen so many times in other countries.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Clearly a possibility of civil conflict inside China if the bust becomes harsh.

I don't understand this statement.  Can you elaborate?

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

From what I have read more than a few times is the greatest fear the ruling party has is if or when the economy tanks. That could cause a regime change.

Most analysts point out the PLA prime mission is domestic control and protection of the running party.

A number of respected analysts show the Chinese economy is in a unsustainable bubble now.

We have members living in China and others with first hand experience. I’m curious what they’re thoughts are. 

Edited by Old55

allancomeau
Posted
Posted (edited)

China does swing from being open (relatively speaking) to being closed. 

Lately Xi has been rattling the saber against the West - not so much the West per se but that people - especially the students are drifting away from the party. In an effort to get them back into the fold of the CCP he has started action on a number of fronts; restricting VPN access, banning Western textbooks in Grades 1 to 5, reducing Western presence in schools, new restrictions on websites (hitting foreign firms operating in China the most), more patriotic theme in the Yong Pioneers, heighten action against (Western) illegals.....

I did feel there was an anti-West surge recently   -  the number of visa rejections (no reason given) seemed to increase.

Now that he has successfully made his big power grab things ought to loosen up a bit. (Partly the above actions were also to show he was a hard-liner, and increase support).

BTW The Economist seems to have the best (unbiased) analysis on China, and they have a regular column on China.

China Uncensored has some good insight, as well.

Edited by allancomeau
add news sources
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 12/12/2017 at 10:20 AM, Old55 said:

We have members living in China and others with first hand experience. I’m curious what they’re thoughts are. 

I am also curious what "boots on the ground" types are experiencing. I don't completely trust official data.

• Like 1