This is much safer in my opinion.

http://www.sportsbettingonline.ag/

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Happyhorn52 said:

This is much safer in my opinion.

http://www.sportsbettingonline.ag/

Scratching Head.jpg are you sure about that?

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bitcoin in one big giant Ponzi scheme just waiting to crash. It is not backed up by a country like the United States or even the European Union. If it crashes there is no one to bail you out. If data miners figure out how to create more bit coins your virtual money will be worthless. 

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21732526-there-investment-case-cryptocurrency-bitcoin-speculative-asset-not-yet

Edited by Happyhorn52

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The usual tools of finance are no guide. An equity is a claim on the assets and the profits of a firm; a bond entitles the investor to a series of interest payments and repayment on maturity. Bitcoin brings no cashflows to the owner; the only return will come via a rise in price. When there is no obvious way of valuing an asset, it is hard to say that one target price is less likely than another. Bitcoin could be worth $10 or $100,000.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

"just a penny?"   "JUST A PENNY?"  It's not how many you have but what you do with them. 

Makes perfect sense to me. 

There are so many quotes that refer to the way a fool  handles money. 

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The greater fool theory states that the price of an object is determined not by its intrinsic value, but rather by irrational beliefs and expectations of market participants. A price can be justified by a rational buyer under the belief that another party is willing to pay an even higher price.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

The usual tools of finance are no guide. An equity is a claim on the assets and the profits of a firm; a bond entitles the investor to a series of interest payments and repayment on maturity. Bitcoin brings no cashflows to the owner; the only return will come via a rise in price. When there is no obvious way of valuing an asset, it is hard to say that one target price is less likely than another. Bitcoin could be worth $10 or $100,000.

Bitcoin is not an equity. It most closely resembles a commodity or a currency. Neither of which provide a cashflow. Yet many investors trade both commodities and do foreign exchange trading.

The price rise over time of bitcoin and other crypto currencies is based on an adoption curve.

There is value in crypto currencies based on its utility. For example you can move value across international borders easily, quickly and at low cost. It is decentralized so there is no one business or corporation controlling it.  It is open source software so it can be audited by programmers. It is a store of accounting that is immutable and can not be changed (blockchain).

Then again, you are correct in that the prices of crypto currencies is very volatile and it is hard to know now which ones will be the winners or losers. Kind of like the .com bubble. As always only invest money that you can afford to lose.

Currently there is a major correction in prices. My portfolio is down but still priced at more than 4 times my initial investment.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

A price can be justified by a rational buyer under the belief that another party is willing to pay an even higher price.

Scratching Head.jpg Then the Bubble bursts and from what I have read that could just happen here :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

Then again, you are correct in that the prices of crypto currencies is very volatile and it is hard to know now which ones will be the winners or losers. Kind of like the .com bubble. As always only invest money that you can afford to lose.

Currently there is a major correction in prices. My portfolio is down but still priced at more than 4 times my initial investment.

Wikipedia says that as of January 2018 there are 1,384 crypto currencies available and a new crypto currency can be created "at any time".  So yes it would be hard to know which will be losers or winners.  There are currently 180 "real" currencies in the "real" world.  These numbers alone should scare the &#^% out of anyone who thinks investing in a crypto currency is a wise strategy.  This is not just a bubble, this is a freaking frothy mess!  The reality of any bubble is that when the bubble breaks there are winners who got out early and many more losers who did not.  Just my own opinion of course.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

The reality of any bubble is that when the bubble breaks there are winners who got out early and many more losers who did not. 

My point exactly. "getting out early is the key phrase  but for me, I prefer the real thing Cash in my Pocket where I know where/what it is. Not some system that can be jerked around by Button pushers.

• Like 1