Mactan dentist

goldbrick
Posted
Posted

Can anybody recommend a dentist on mactan island? I need one starting January 2. Will that date be a problem?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome but who really knows if the date is a problem? If you want a dentist on the mainland I will tell you but have no idea of one to recommend on Mactan and or why your date is so important to you. :89:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The Green Apple dental clinic is located in the Ayala Mall Cebu City if that is close enough for you.  I have been there three times, twice for cleaning, and once for a crown.  The equipment used is reasonable modern (compared to my dentist in the USA) and they seem to practice good hygiene which is very important to me.

goldbrick
Posted
Posted

Hi Jolly. The reason I asked about the date is because I am flying into Cebu on January 1 for a 24 day visit. I did not know if there may be a fiesta that may cause closure of dental offices as this is my first visit to the Philippines.

Mike, thanks for the advice but I was trying to stay on Mactan island to avoid sitting in traffic instead of sitting on the beach.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for clearing that up and your correct it's at least an hour getting into town from Mactan. I only know a dentist near capital but she is very good.

Sinulog 2018 is January 21st so that week traffic is simply screwed. 

Enjoy your visit, lots of sun screen and liquids. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, goldbrick said:

I did not know if there may be a fiesta that may cause closure of dental offices as this is my first visit to the Philippines.

You are right about that.  Sinulog festival runs from about 11 January 2018 to 21 January 2018 and there will be business closures at their own discretion, mainly depending if the dentist or staff want to go to any of the festivities.

As for recommending a dentist, I have found that each expat has their own favorite dentist and seldom reach an agreement on who is best.  There is often one that stands out in each given area but nothing comes to mind in Mactan itself.  Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.  Dentistry is not a real refined art in Philippines but its cheap.

If I were you, being as its your first visit and all, I would surely take the advice of MikeJ and go into Cebu city to Ayala Mall.  But thats only because it will take a while to figure out which dentists are good and which are selling fillings and caps at high prices to foreigners.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Goldbrick,

I don't have any specific dentist suggestions for Mactan, but you might want to check the local malls in Mactan to see if there is a reputable dentist clinic to your liking. Most mall dental clinics appear to be more advanced and cleaner than a clinic one might along the road.  Otherwise, Mike J had a good suggestion. I can say that the dental clinic that we go to at J Centre Mall in Mandaue City, Armor Dental Clinic, has been a good choice for my husband and I. That's where the Bureau of Immigration is, so if you might need to go there, you could possibly try this clinic too. Mandaue City is closer to you in Mactan, and not affected by a lot of the activity related to Sinulog in January.

Edited by Queenie O.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Most mall dental clinics appear to be more advanced and cleaner than a clinic one might along the road

I just want to add that your experience in that area is the opposite of mine but it may be a matter of perception.  All of the dentists I have found to be reasonably good have had practices outside a mall.  Any I have tried inside a mall have been the kind who want to sell cosmetic dentistry, lots of fillings, and expensive caps.  But again, just an opinion.  Maybe you got lucky.  Maybe I got unlucky.  There are some good ones in malls as MikeJ pointed out.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I just want to add that your experience in that area is the opposite of mine but it may be a matter of perception.  All of the dentists I have found to be reasonably good have had practices outside a mall.  Any I have tried inside a mall have been the kind who want to sell cosmetic dentistry, lots of fillings, and expensive caps.  But again, just an opinion.  Maybe you got lucky.  Maybe I got unlucky.  There are some good ones in malls as MikeJ pointed out.

That may well be true Dave. I've tried both inside and outside and in the province too, with mixed results.:smile: As you mentioned in your first post, we might all seldom agree on which one might be the best. It could be a combination of reasons too.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Personally I get all of my dental work done before I go to the Philippines.