Was I right not to ?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

My darling wife arrived in Manila this morning before flying on to spend Christmas with her family in Mindanao.

I'm sure I will miss her badly as this will be our first Christmas apart since her arrival in UK in 2005.

However it has appeared on UK news that DU30 has extended the curfew for yet another 6 months.

So question is, was I right to decide not to accompany her ?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I’m sure you will miss your wife but she’s with family and friends who love and care for her. They will ensure her safety.

• Like 4

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

I have been to Mindanao twice; Davao, General Santos, and the Lake Sebu area.

Never felt safer. No hassle. No problems. No fear.  

Talked to several other expats, who also visited or stayed on the eastern side and they all said 'no problem - safer than Manila'

Of course this flies in the face of what DOT, travel agents, Tagalogs, and the American Embassy have to say about Mindanao but my experience and the experience of others tells a very different story.

I think you missed out on the opportunity to see and experience another part of the Philippines. 

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Kuya John said:

So question is, was I right to decide not to accompany her ?

Where in Mindanao is her family?  It's a big island.  I am planning to check out Davao in the near future to meet a Filipina I met online.  Based on my research so far, it seems safe...

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bows00 said:

Where in Mindanao is her family?  It's a big island.  I am planning to check out Davao in the near future to meet a Filipina I met online.  Based on my research so far, it seems safe...

Bows00, I have sent you a PM :thumbsup:

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bows00 said:

It is a big island. It does take quite a bit of time to get from one city to another as the 'highways' are winding and two-lane.