Typhoon vintna

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've been chatting to my Philippine lady and whilst previously I had no real concerns about typhoons etc , I'm finding that my concerns are growing.

I've seen photos of her house after the big one in 2012 hit , and there was nothing left , they house that she is in now is made of wood , apparently the last one had some concrete.

She is preparing for this typhoon by putting stuff into plastic bags and raising it up high to avoid flood damage ,then she tells me that her biggest fear is disease , Weil's disease , now having worked in a 100 year old Glaswegian sewer when I was a diver I have a healthy appreciation of stuff like that .

So I'm hoping that all will be well but I have not had my usual good morning

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I've been chatting to my Philippine lady and whilst previously I had no real concerns about typhoons etc , I'm finding that my concerns are growing.

I've seen photos of her house after the big one in 2012 hit , and there was nothing left , they house that she is in now is made of wood , apparently the last one had some concrete.

She is preparing for this typhoon by putting stuff into plastic bags and raising it up high to avoid flood damage ,then she tells me that her biggest fear is disease , Weil's disease , now having worked in a 100 year old Glaswegian sewer when I was a diver I have a healthy appreciation of stuff like that .

So I'm hoping that all will be well but I have not had my usual good morning

Hope all goes well mate, Filipinos are very resilient and then some, chin up.

Cheers, Steve.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Where is she?  The forecast has it staying a tropical storm until it gets to Palawan early Sunday.  In any case, hope she stays safe.  If her home is not strong and she is in the direct path,  encourage her to go to a safer place like a shelter, if she can.

Vinta2217.png

• Thanks 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think it's just a tropical depression from last reports. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Can't be a typoon, they don't have them in Mindanao.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)

She has been able to send me some piccys it looks very dark and wet with high winds, I think she is okay  ,I'll ping her tonight 

She's in compostella,  near tagum 

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think it's just a tropical depression from last reports. 

Coastal dwellers still evacuating. One of my wife's relatives headed for the hills. Storm surge can be a problem. It's in Tandag, Surigao del Sur and they live on the beach. North of the storm center when it makes landfall, which is where surge usually happens because of the counterclockwise rotation . Her father stayed put. Probably will have a smoke and san migs with friends. Nothing fazes him.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

She has been able to send me some piccys it looks very dark and wet with high winds, I think she is okay  ,I'll ping her tonight 

She's in compostella,  near tagum 

I wouldn't expect it to be too bad there, other than possible heavy rains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Looks like it's been a large dumpof rain, ive received pictures of the road outside her business ankle deep in rain water

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Had consistent rain for a couple of days down my way, pretty much ended now. Still no signal from Cignal though internet fine.

• Thanks 1