37 dead in mall fire

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Certainly seems like the last two weeks have seen some tragedy here in the Philippines. :SugarwareZ-034:

In other news reports the fire started on the third floor and the people trapped are on the fourth floor which is a call center. 

Dozens feared dead after mall fire in Philippines

At least 37 people were missing and feared dead Sunday, more than a day after a fire broke out at a shopping mall in the southern Philippine city of Davao, authorities said.

The Davao City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office said the fire started around 9:40 a.m. Saturday on the third floor of the New City Commercial Center (NCCC) mall, according to CNN Philippines. The fire was reported not long before the mall was supposed to open.

Sunday morning, Emmanuel Jaldon, the chief operating officer for the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said firefighters were in the last phase before declaring the fire out and that the fire was "technically contained."

Authorities have not provided a cause of the fire.

The fire struck as the Philippines was reeling from a storm that killed dozens and caused flooding and landslides.

In a Facebook post, Deputy Mayor Paolo Duterte quoted the ground commander of the Brigade of Fire Protection as saying the chances of finding the 37 people alive were zero.

"Please continue to pray for everyone's safety," the mall's management said in a statement Saturday, CNN Philippines reported.

Davao is the hometown of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte. Local media showed photos of Duterte visiting the mall and meeting with the victim's families. He was mayor of Davao City and still has a residence there.

The city is about 941 miles south of Manila.

mallfire.jpg

http://www.wcvb.com/article/dozens-feared-dead-after-mall-fire-in-philippines/14492623

• Sad 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

RIP so sad.

• Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

It seems to be around this time of year these tragedies happen.

With deepest sympathy for the families of both this fire and the victims of the typhoon which has struck southern Philippines.

RIP

• Sad 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Bad thing to happen at anytime ,made worse by being so close to Christmas

• Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The fire was reported not long before the mall was supposed to open.

I was wondering why so many died when the mall was not open yet, but I read that there are call centers there, so they are probably there 24/7.  Terrible tragedy! 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 12/25/2017 at 4:39 PM, OnMyWay said:

I was wondering why so many died when the mall was not open yet, but I read that there are call centers there, so they are probably there 24/7.  Terrible tragedy! 

It seemed like an awful lot of people to in a closed mall, until I heard there was a call center there.  Many work nights (daytime for US companies) and I could easily imagine an upstairs office with only one entrance...  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

It seemed like an awful lot of people to in a closed mall, until I heard there was a call center there.  Many work nights (daytime for US companies) and I could easily imagine an upstairs office with only one entrance...  

It appears the ones who did not make it went to their lockers to retrieve belongings from what I read. Fatal mistake. 

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It appears the ones who did not make it went to their lockers to retrieve belongings from what I read. Fatal mistake. 

If this is true it is really sad.  Maybe they need to get back to safety basics and have fire drills.  Fire drills for work places as well as schools is always good and reminders are needed.  My daughter completed 5th grade here and soon to finish 6th.  During the two school years they have been pushing disasters drills.  Several a year.  Although mostly geared toward earth quakes, the same principles apply toward fires.  Fast orderly exits, without taking your belongings.  After a drill, I usually talk with my daughter to see how it went and also remind her to remember the rules and DON'T worry about her "stuff".  It can be replaced.  Hopefully some can learn form this sad loss of lives at the mall/call center.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, intrepid said:

If this is true it is really sad.  Maybe they need to get back to safety basics and have fire drills.  Fire drills for work places as well as schools is always good and reminders are needed.  My daughter completed 5th grade here and soon to finish 6th.  During the two school years they have been pushing disasters drills.  Several a year.  Although mostly geared toward earth quakes, the same principles apply toward fires.  Fast orderly exits, without taking your belongings.  After a drill, I usually talk with my daughter to see how it went and also remind her to remember the rules and DON'T worry about her "stuff".  It can be replaced.  Hopefully some can learn form this sad loss of lives at the mall/call center.

I know here in the IT park they have at least two full scale drills a year including ambulance and fire attending with mock up injuries but who knows what they had in that mall if anything. One would think being an American owned call centre they would take safety seriously in Davao. 

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I know here in the IT park they have at least two full scale drills a year including ambulance and fire attending with mock up injuries,

Wow, this is really good to hear and impressive.:thumbsup:

but who knows what they had in that mall if anything.

Yes, and we may never know.  And again for what its worth, I truly hope some will take this upon their own for a learning experience.  Many times we need to remember safety is our own responsibility.