Churches in the Philippines

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hope this does not upset anyone here,  Churches in the Philippines ,

my wife and especially her sister love to visit churches and we travel miles just to take photos of them !

The thing is in the road where i live there are 4 small churches ! even our neighbour has turned two rooms at the 

Back of their house into a mini church and 3 times a week they hold services !

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Edited by expatuk2014
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nice topic.:thumbsup:

What cathedral have you found most interesting?

We enjoy visiting older historic Churches, as you must know there are many throughout the islands. 

I'll share one of my favorite churches to visit. Boljoon Church 100 klicks south of Cebu City on the way to Oslob is one of the oldest (1599) on Cebu and has a very nice museum along with large park like grounds.

Edited by Old55
Spelling
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

There's one on the way to Oslob up in the hills called the Simala Shrine or something similar. It looks like a tacky Disneyland castle and I was amazed how many visitors it had. All that was missing was the Lourdes type healing area but I'm sure it'll appear soon. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

There's one on the way to Oslob up in the hills called the Simala Shrine or something similar. It looks like a tacky Disneyland castle and I was amazed how many visitors it had. All that was missing was the Lourdes type healing area but I'm sure it'll appear soon. 

That is in Sibonga and they go to visit Mama Mary.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

They even have tourist destination made churches and shines. South of Manila there is a "shrine" tp padre pio. Very popular destination. To me it looks like it was made with in the last 20 years.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

This was not even a country when Spain drew a circle around it and named after prince Philip.  They don't have a lot of existing culture from before (a shame really). So the old churches are all they got.  To me all the old churches look alike and I never even take pictures of them on our travels... but my wife does!

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

That's exactly how it appeared to me. As a church attender I was quite shocked, however once inside the oldest part it takes on a different appeal.

2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They don't have a lot of existing culture from before (a shame really). So the old churches are all they got. 

What about the Indigenous people, what culture they had was changed by the arrival of the Spanish and of course their belief's.

In answer to the OP, there are a small number of multifaith churches big and small popping up, this is due to Christian's holding meetings in whatever premises they have, spreading the word of God and feeding the poor. I know a few Filipino's who are sending money home to support family members who are running such places.I visited one such church in Davao where after the service handed out Spaghetti Bol; and cartons of drinks.I saw one little fellow running off home to share his food, it was a very touching moment.

I am aware that some of the forum members do equally good deeds without affiliation to any Church, so well done for that kindness

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 4

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

12 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Do they have Crosses, statues and pictures of Jesus or Mary? If they don't, then they're probably born again christian, there are lots of christian groups today that starts their own church or ministry and have their mass or service in someone's house, since they're just starting.

But if they do have, then maybe its a chapel? but if its not, then I don't know. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

The thing is in the road where i live there are 4 small churches ! even our neighbour has turned two rooms at the 

Sounds a lot like Moalboal where we live.  Seems like every 100 meters or so you will find a small church.  Some will only have room for maybe a dozen plastic chairs.  My wife tells me that one reason for so many churches is that each neighborhood wants to have a church and patron saint which allows them to have their own festival each year.  This picture show one that is now abandoned.  I would be surprised if it would seat 8 people.  Even abandoned and weather beaten it has a certain beauty and charm that is hard describe without actually seeing it.  I cannot help but think about the people who worshiped in that small building over the years.

Small Abandoned Church.jpg

• Like 4

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

As we was on Siquijor year 2013 we visited several churches on that island. Very impressive was the really big church in Lazi. And we got told that it is full at every mass.