Cleanliness of restaurant staff.

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
On 12/27/2017 at 4:41 PM, Jack Peterson said:

:89:Hmmmmmm a never ending saga I am afraid but that is not confined to the Philippines :whistling:

Very true. Common throughout most of Asia.  

Food hygiene and cross-contamination are unknowns in many Asian countries. I got sick more often in Singapore than even in India.

It was common in China to see the staff preparing veggies by placing the cutting board on the filthy street. If some spilled over onto the street they just dumped them back onto the cutting board.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Overtime, exposure to bacteria results in your body building up immunity. How often do you observe non-locals or foreigners getting violently sick from eating food while everyone else is okay. If you stay long enough in the Philippines and survive, your body will build up similar defenses.

Americans went crazy buying all kinds of soaps and anti-germicides guaranteed to kill 99% of bacteria. The remaining 1% started morphing into super bugs that you could not kill. After research by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the government banned anti-bacterial soaps.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Overtime, exposure to bacteria results in your body building up immunity.

I don't find that to be the case with us old timer expats who have age onset diabetes.  Our immune system just does not work like it used to and an amount of bacteria that will not even give a local the trots will have me in hospital for 3 days so . . . bad advice there JJ

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We only holiday 3 weeks at a time and on most trips someone in the extended family comes looking for the Imodium. I guess the rest of the time they just put up with the occassional bout of the trots.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

on most trips someone in the extended family comes looking for the Imodium. I guess the rest of the time they just put up with the occassional bout of the trots.

Could it be they know you will sympathise and pay for it?

Just asking my friend :wink:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

We only holiday 3 weeks at a time and on most trips someone in the extended family comes looking for the Imodium. I guess the rest of the time they just put up with the occassional bout of the trots.

While in Toledo, I came down with food poisoning after eating at a Chinese restaurant. My wife went to a pharmacy. Using her conversational Spanish and a phrase book, she was able to explain my medical condition to the pharmacist on duty. The tiny pills given looked very similar to Lomotil, a drug banned years by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA). One pill every 12 hours. Two pills and I was cured. The remaining are in my medicine pouch for future use. I don't know why, but it beats the crap out of Imodium (no pun intended).

Why Chinese when the Spanish food is excellent. It's the Filipino in me and the need to eat rice from time to time. My wife, lucky her, won't eat Catonese food because it is greasy.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't find that to be the case with us old timer expats who have age onset diabetes.  Our immune system just does not work like it used to and an amount of bacteria that will not even give a local the trots will have me in hospital for 3 days so . . . bad advice there JJ

My apologies. I forgot this is a forum for the aged, even if they are young at heart.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 12/29/2017 at 1:12 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

And I think after ? 

They say urine is sterile,  beside Dad taught me how Not to pee on my fingers,  not being ( some nationality ) it works. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

They say urine is sterile

'They' are wrong, it's not.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Last time I believe they, and I'll reserve judgement on them too.  The women messed that up are are more likely to contaminate themselves.  Just like the Buffet song.............there's a women to blame.  NOT MY FAULT THOUGH:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 1