What it's like to be famous

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

One nice thing about our daughter starting pre-school is that my wife and I have gotten meet some of the parents who live in our area.

The first day or two my wife chatted to another mom who lives in our neighborhood, and she knew all about us, even though she lives about a mile away, halfway between our old house and our new house!  She knew our old house and our new house.  She knew that we just got a second car.  She knew what are kids looked like.  A bit scary but my wife likes her.  Married to an Aussie and they also have a pre-school daughter.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Everyone knows us here.  An expat was looking for my house, and with just a bad xerox of a picture (Rotary club bulletin)... the sikad drivers told right where to find me.  Glad he was not mad at me ha ha.  There is no privacy, and my wife does not understand my need for it...  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a person who doesn't use fb.....our friends can tell how much my wife is enjoying her vacation!

Being famous has it's pit fall's, I'll be content just to be kuya John :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
Word blindness hehehe
  • Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

Bottom line here is that expats tend to draw attention in the Philippines.  And the examples noted thus far are relatively positive, and I hate to be the "Debbie Downer", but there must obviously be some things that are not as beneficial when you are recognized out of the crowd.

For example, if they eventually find out your financial status, how safe would it be for your kids?  Kidnappings can happen at anytime there.  Desperate people take desperate actions.  

I guess I am a "Debbie Downer"... 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, bows00 said:

Bottom line here is that expats tend to draw attention in the Philippines.  And the examples noted thus far are relatively positive, and I hate to be the "Debbie Downer", but there must obviously be some things that are not as beneficial when you are recognized out of the crowd.

For example, if they eventually find out your financial status, how safe would it be for your kids?  Kidnappings can happen at anytime there.  Desperate people take desperate actions.  

I guess I am a "Debbie Downer"... 

No, not negitive it is something to be aware of. Family members or even a significant other can share too much. Best to be known as that nice poor expat.

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

From time to time we get mail and deliveries for the only other British ex-pat here, and vice-versa. Clearly, the delivery people ask the security gate and they occasionaly get us mixed up. Frustrating, as they only need to go by the address on the document!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2