VPN For Android Phone

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I am looking for a free VPN to install on my Samsung Android phone.  Google Play has dozens.  Any recommendations?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I am looking for a free VPN to install on my Samsung Android phone.  Google Play has dozens.  Any recommendations?

Nord VPN is great.. Yes there's a monthly subscription but it's worth it. It allows me to watch any country's Netflix etc.  

I was a little worried on how it would go with internet speeds in the Philippines and it having to go a few extra hops but I watched both Australian and US Netflix without too many issues depending on where I was.   For some local knowledge of your area, it worked fine from The Blue Rock at Baloy Beach. 

Edit:  I was using it on a Samsung tablet then Chromecasting it to the TV.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I pay for Pure VPN on my laptop.  I need to check if my subscription includes more than one device!  :bonk:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I pay for Pure VPN on my laptop.  I need to check if my subscription includes more than one device!  :bonk:

Nord VPN does.  Have it on my phone, desktop and tablet for the same price.  Pure VPN gets a pretty good wrap too, when I was making the decision I went with Nord only because I prefer the interface so it's down to personal preference.  

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use SaferVPN which was good for me in the US and now in the Philippines. I do notice there is a drop in speed when I use it, but from a practical standpoint my Internet is still fast enough even with the VPN.

It supports multiple devices. If you get it the month rate is high but once you sign up they will spam you with offers for 2 years at a low rate.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/30/2017 at 3:31 PM, OnMyWay said:

I really didn't need to make my original post because my Pure VPN subscription does cover multiple devices.  I downloaded the app and it works fine.

Thanks for the answers anyway!  Hopefully they are useful to others.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just an update guys, can't access international Netflix through NordVPN anymore.  How long this lasts I have no clue but there's a reason I never sign up to these payed services for more than a month at a time.  

What's the status of anything anyone else is using?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have been using express VPN but Netflix has become difficult recently so I can't recommend it for that use.

I too would be interested to hear of a VPN that currently allows Netflix use reliably.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

VPN is very new to me. I have anti-virus protection so I didn't think I needed it. Why would I need extra protection at a monthly cost?  

Someone enlighten me. I use an Apple Mac Book Pro. 

Michael Perez
Posted
Posted (edited)

A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between you, the VPN server and the internet.  This prevents 'man in the middle' attacks where someone can intercept your passwords or other important info.

It also makes you appear that you are in the location that the VPN server is.  This can be useful if you need to appear to be in another country.  But as some folks have suggested, this is no longer a foolproof, dependable way of accessing geographically restricted content like Netflix or the BBC.

Edited by Michael Perez
Premature post. -