Dog laws

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Good topic, maybe a question that should be asked, is there a vaccine for rabies for adults before being bit, if so how many expats have had it? Up to date links would be helpful to members, thanks. :5795:

I had anti rabies jabs, amongst others, in the uk. Had them at my local GP surgery for free. They run out in May this year, not sure how much they cost here, though sure to find out in due course.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

There's two schools of thought about the rabbies vaccination. You need three shots as a preventative and four shots if you present in time. Many suggest wait until you think you need it. The problem with fines in the Philippines is what is the point of fining someone who hasn't got any money. And whose dog , I don't have a dog, that's not my dog......

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Gary D said:

You need three shots as a preventative and four shots if you present in time.

I always heard that "after the bite" rabies shots were very painful shots into the abdomen?  Is that still true for the preventative or after bit shots?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I knew about this, but also know that it is virtually never enforced.  There is a town near us that has this sign in their market... and I think they may really enforce it as  i have never seen a stray dog around the town plaza.  I wish they would enforce it in my town.

dog.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

after the bite

I am not a medical expert, but this is MY experience. I got nipped by a neighbors pet dog (little yap yapper) wife insisted I get shots. Just went to the local general purpose clinic. Received a series of shots/ If memory serves, 1st then another in 30 days, another in 90, another in 180 and the last one at 365 days. I think they cost 2500 peso each.

I believe the shot through the belly is either the old way or after symptoms have presented themselves. But that is just a guess

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am not a medical expert, but this is MY experience. I got nipped by a neighbors pet dog (little yap yapper) wife insisted I get shots. Just went to the local general purpose clinic. Received a series of shots/ If memory serves, 1st then another in 30 days, another in 90, another in 180 and the last one at 365 days. I think they cost 2500 peso each.

I believe the shot through the belly is either the old way or after symptoms have presented themselves. But that is just a guess

So, you were not yet foaming at the mouth and growling at everyone?  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Haha 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

All these laws and requirements sound very sensible and necessary, but from experience in my area of Cebu,  very few of these requirements have been enforced.  In the past few years our three dogs have been given an anti-rabies shot by the town's veterinary staff and a notation was made of their names as pet owners. Our neighbor's dog, who is a little hyper, could not be corralled for her shot, so they just moved on to the next neighborhood dogs, so shots are most likely not consistent across the board.  We keep our dogs in the gated yard, and only let them out for a quick romp a couple of times a day with us, so I guess at those times we fault for not having them on a leash. Our puppy goes out on a leash though.

Three different family members have been bitten at different times over the past three years here. Anti-rabies shots at local provincial hospitals was not even available, so they had to travel to a city hospital to get their series of shots. There was no followup on dogs or required payments by the dog's owners.  I'd be surprised if much of these requirements will be followed through any time soon. Also, a lack of responsibility on the part of many pet owners here is quite common, so these habits will be hard to change on their end also.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, virginprune said:

I had anti rabies jabs, amongst others, in the uk. Had them at my local GP surgery for free. They run out in May this year, not sure how much they cost here, though sure to find out in due course.

My son had a course at our local GP when he went to Southern Africa hiking. The three shot course was over £100.

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gary D said:

My son had a course at our local GP when he went to Southern Africa hiking. The three shot course was over £100.

Maybe they didn't bill me because I was over 60? This was nearly 3 years ago. Three shots, each one a week apart.

The only inoculation I would have had to pay for was Malaria, if I chose to have it, I didn't.

Edited by virginprune
Addition to post

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When I have asked I've always been told that if it is for holiday it's not free. Same as Maleria drugs etc.