Safety for Pil-Am Kids?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Some years ago we were with friends in an SM department store in Manila, I can't remember the exact location, probably Makati. The friends had a couple of young children with them, 5-6 year olds, they had wondered off and there was a sudden panic. The parents were worried that they had been kidnapped as they were out with a foreigner.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The parents were worried that they had been kidnapped as they were out with a foreigner.

Would they be worried if the kids were missing while out with a Filipina? I would think so or at least hope so. :smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Specifically, where did you have this experience?

The reason I asked this question is that there are areas where kidnapping of foreigners might be much more likely and a local might say that.  Far southern Mindanao comes to mind.  The chance of kidnapping would apply equally to adults and children.  If I were walking around SM in Gen San with my kids, maybe people would come up and warn me.  Rightly so.

However, this just doesn't happen in Subic Bay.  We have lots of foreigners and lots of mixed kids around.  They do attract attention but so far, only good attention.  A lot of the workers at our regular stores know our kids and have watched them grow up from babies.

Like any parent, we do worry about the kids and are protective of them.  Any parent, in any country, worries that the worst could happen.  You just have to make sure you protect them as much as possible while still giving them some freedom.

I would be interested to see if anyone can come up with a case of a foreigner child or mixed child being kidnapped in PH.  I googled a bit and saw nothing.  I did see some stories about kidnappings in Manila, usually of businessmen.

• Like 1

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

OK I found this on Google.

in 2011 there were 24 kidnapping incidents in the Philippines.  In 2010 there were 41 cases.  So, at worst case, the number of kidnappings in the Philippines were only 10% of USA kidnappings of children.  The population of the Philippines is about 1/3 of the US population, so on a per capita basis, kidnapping in the USA is more than 3 times more rampant than in the Philippines.  And, I am really figuring this in a way that is in the favor of the US, because the 41 (2010) kidnapping cases are all kidnapping cases (adult and children) and the USA figures are only for children..

I know these are old figures but it does make you think.

But are those statistics exclusive to European-Asian kidnappings?

The murder rate in the Philippines, for example, is going to be considerably higher for Europeans than for Filipinos.

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Clermont said:

Maybe this poster has knowledge we don't, all foreign children I've seen over there are pampered by the PI's, rich or poor. :SugarwareZ-004:

Hardly. Pil-Am kids suffer loads of discrimination and bullying.

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Specifically, where did you have this experience?

MM mostly.

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

The reason I asked this question is that there are areas where kidnapping of foreigners might be much more likely and a local might say that.  Far southern Mindanao comes to mind.  The chance of kidnapping would apply equally to adults and children.  If I were walking around SM in Gen San with my kids, maybe people would come up and warn me.  Rightly so.

However, this just doesn't happen in Subic Bay.  We have lots of foreigners and lots of mixed kids around.  They do attract attention but so far, only good attention.  A lot of the workers at our regular stores know our kids and have watched them grow up from babies.

Like any parent, we do worry about the kids and are protective of them.  Any parent, in any country, worries that the worst could happen.  You just have to make sure you protect them as much as possible while still giving them some freedom.

I would be interested to see if anyone can come up with a case of a foreigner child or mixed child being kidnapped in PH.  I googled a bit and saw nothing.  I did see some stories about kidnappings in Manila, usually of businessmen.

MM mostly. As you could imagine, it is rather disturbing. We are homeschooling. Primarily for the racism against Pil-Am kids. But also for the better education. Yeah, I try google too. I thought Pubic Bay was a dangerous place?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, ALEMAN said:

MM mostly. As you could imagine, it is rather disturbing. We are homeschooling. Primarily for the racism against Pil-Am kids. But also for the better education. Yeah, I try google too. I thought Pubic Bay was a dangerous place?

home schooling where? What's this got to do with the Philippines.

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

home schooling where? What's this got to do with the Philippines.

It's protected by the constitution.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, ALEMAN said:

It's protected by the constitution.

In your opening topic your questions were about safety. Organ harvesting etc.