Vietnam Visa for a Filipina

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Taking my wife to Vietnam (and other places) next month but I am still confused on the Visa rules for her. We are arriving by boat. I have heard something about an online Visa but can't find out specifically for a philippine citizen. Looks like I have no problem with Visa on arrival with US passport. I figured someone here has travel with a Filipina to Vietnam in the not too distant past?

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe Philippines citizens do not require a visa to visit any of the ASEAN countries. I believe Vietnam is a member of this group. If I am wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Just checked online, Filipinos are exempt visa if stay is for less than 21 days.

If the visitor is not visa free they have to apply online and obtain from airport on arrival. This works for Brits, possibly for US citizens as well, so best to check that before departure.

Edited by virginprune
Addition to post
  • Like 1

TunaT
Posted
Posted

Here is a reply from my cousin an American that has lived in Cebu for about 12 years. He's an American , his wife is a Filipina widow of a Norwegian. They just got back from a week in Vietnam for the Christmas holidays.

Yes, everyone going to Vietnam needs to apply for a visa.  You can do it by typing in "Vietnam visa" in the search box, then follow the instructions provided.  It will cost $28 for the application.  When you get to Vietnam all but a few exceptions have to pay another $25 entry fee to get into the country.  However, Norwegians don't have to pay that extra fee, and since she ( a Filipina) was using her Norwegian passport, she was exempt.  Americans like me and Filipinos are not exempt, so they get stuck for the extra amount.
Those communists sure know how to rip off the tourists, don't they?
  • Like 1

TunaT
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, TunaT said:

Here is a reply from my cousin an American that has lived in Cebu for about 12 years. He's an American , his wife is a Filipina widow of a Norwegian. They just got back from a week in Vietnam for the Christmas holidays.

Yes, everyone going to Vietnam needs to apply for a visa.  You can do it by typing in "Vietnam visa" in the search box, then follow the instructions provided.  It will cost $28 for the application.  When you get to Vietnam all but a few exceptions have to pay another $25 entry fee to get into the country.  However, Norwegians don't have to pay that extra fee, and since she ( a Filipina) was using her Norwegian passport, she was exempt.  Americans like me and Filipinos are not exempt, so they get stuck for the extra amount.

So it's like come visit my country and spend lots of money to feed our economy and tourism industry, but we will charge you to come and leave your money here.
Sounds like a pretty stupid way to promote tourism. Free entry would make a whole lot more sense. But.............................

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Type reply outside of quote box please.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Having looked further into this, people on British passport have visa free entry until July 2018. Must be some form of promotion I imagine, after that it will revert back to online application.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, TunaT said:

I stand by my previous post regarding Filipinos visiting Vietnam for up to 21 days.

Why did a visa question have to bring on a rant with political overtones?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, virginprune said:

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Mainly  I guess  because some people just can't resist :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

18 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I stand by my previous post regarding Filipinos visiting Vietnam for up to 21 days.

Yes correct

How to visit Vietnam with 21 days of free Visa for citizens of Philippines
At present, all Filipino passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for a maximum of 21 days without a visa. To get free visa, you just use your passport and visit Vietnam. You can enter Vietnam by any ports from Air by airplane to Land by bus, train… or Sea by ship, cruise…

When you arrive Vietnam, please directly come to Immigration Check-in counter to get the blue stamp into your passport. This stamp will say that you can stay in Vietnam for 21 days from your arrival date.

No cost and no other documents are required.

» This section explains how citizens of Philippines who want to get a Visa to visit Vietnam in case of staying Vietnam for periods of longer than 21 days.
How many ways could citizens of Philippines apply for a visa to Vietnam?
As citizen of Philippines, whether you are living in Philippines or currently traveling in one other country outside Philippines, you can also follow these instructions to obtain a Visa to Vietnam.

If you hold passport of Philippines, you have two options to apply for a Vietnam visa

1. Apply Vietnam Visa Online for the approval letter to pick up the Visa at Vietnam airport (Vietnam visa on arrival).
This method is very convenient, fast, reasonable and secure. You just stay at home, access the Internet, apply Online and it is done in couple of minutes!

- Issuing unit: Vietnam Immigration Department in Vietnam

- Processing time: 1 – 2 working days

- Secure 100%

- No passport send-off

https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-visa-requirement-for-filipino

• Thanks 2

TunaT
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, virginprune said:

What political overtones is that ? Rant ? What rant is that ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, TunaT said:

What political overtones is that ? Rant ? What rant is that ?

To the rest of the world, the following quote is a rant with political overtones.  Perhaps it is just every day speech for you?

1 hour ago, TunaT said:

Notice I am not saying it is against the rules, at this point, just that it is what it is.