Advice for a new expat in the Philippines

Mick
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will be moving to Manila for good this month, this is due to work, I am marrying my Filipino gf maybe April but in the mean time, I need advice on the following

1. Buying a car with a down payment while there on a tourist visa 

2. Do I need a local driving licence

3. Bank account while not married

4. Longest I can stay on tourist visa, what to tell them at the airport 

5. Medical insurance not just for Philippines but all Asia due to my work travels

Thanks

Mick

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
changed title for SEO
  • Hmm thinking 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mick said:

1. Buying a car with a down payment while there on a tourist visa 

2. Do I need a local driving licence

3. Bank account while not married

4. Longest I can stay on tourist visa, what to tell them at the airport 

5. Medical insurance not just for Philippines but all Asia due to my work travels

Hi Mick,

In short:

1. Very hard to do unless you can get a local or a company to guarantee the loan. 

2. Not sure, but I never got a local license.   

3. Bank account can be tricky but not impossible.  The manager at my bank in Makati is pretty commercial and was able to get me one whilst on a tourist visa.

4. 30 days (assuming UK passport), which can be easily extended at any BI office.

5. Depends on what sort of coverage you are after ...... local insurer that covers asia, or expat insurance (the latter is quite a bit more expensive).

Hope this helps.

Jamie

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted

1) It will be hard to buy a car here on a tourist Visa, but like anything here it depends on the day, location and the person you are dealing with.

2) You can use your home license for I believe it's 90 days.

3) See no. 1 above. haha

4) 30 days, extendable at the Bi for I believe 2 years.

5) I have no idea. but medical care here is very inexpensive. An emergency room visit with xray, numerous tests will cost about 40 us dollars.

Hope this helps, by the way I live near Cainta in Pasig city. I don't golf but I would be up for maybe grabbing a drink or some dinner?

Safe trip

Howard

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Mike

I will answer number 4 and 3

You get 30 days visa waiver on entry. You can then extend up to 36 months before having to leave which you can technically return the same day. Lot of topics on Visas thought the forum. 

Bank accounts have been discussed lately and on a tourist visa with new regulations it or can be a bit more difficult but some banks will open an account if you have an ACR card. Each bank and members experiences vary.

I do hope you take the time to read through the forum to get a better grasp as there are many questions already answered which will help you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

2.  You need a license to drive, your foreign license gives you 90 day after which you will need a local license. As a tourist it depends on the LTO, legally no you can't get a local license on a tourist visa. Many say they got one and others have been refused.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You said you are relocating to work so the company that employs you would provide a visa other than tourist I would think?

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Old55 said:

You said you are relocating to work so the company that employs you would provide a visa other than tourist I would think?

Now you opened a can of worms Dan :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi, normally yes, but as I have a house in Phil it's more for convenience as I'm looking after the Asia area and they are saving the costs they incur for me here in Dubai, so they are just taking it as my home country  so dont really want to rock the boat, so better I get on with it my self and keep quite 

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the best way forward is to the marry the gal and go for a 13a spouse visa. The time scales don't look to far out.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

as I have a house in Phil it's more for convenience

:whistling: You Own or

2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Perhaps the best way forward is to the marry the gal and go for a 13a spouse visa.

Sounds like he already is as he has a House But:571c66d400c8c_1(103): are we only getting 1/2 a story

• Like 2