Advice for a new expat in the Philippines

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi all.... Just for info I spoke to the embassy here in dubai and explained me being based in Manila working for a company in Dubai, looking after Asia, they informed me that if I'm only attending meetings in Philippines representing my company there is no problem on a tourist visa as long as I don't over stay, that sounds like it will take care of things until we marry in May, lots of things on here about the car, and I know the problems there with traffic, but for me, it's more for personal use, golfing, weekends at the beach, and also we are looking for a place near the coast, so I will have the freedom. But I will think longer about this, as mentioned by someone,  I will get a taxi if I know it will be a problem to get somewhere or park. So looking forward to my new adventure after 21 years in the Middle East, but I'm sure there are many other issues I will have to overcome, it all starts on the 19th of this month. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi all.... Just for info I spoke to the embassy here in dubai and explained me being based in Manila working for a company in Dubai, looking after Asia, they informed me that if I'm only attending meetings in Philippines representing my company there is no problem on a tourist visa as long as I don't over stay, 

I would like to know their source as in my opinion you need a 9G Visa. If you come to the Philippines for business meetings you are not a tourist. 

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi, below is the mail from the embassy 

It is okay to have meetings as well in the Philippines. You may avail of the visa free entry for 30 days even if the purpose of travel is leisure/tourist or business/meetings/conference/seminars.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Mick it's a pleasure to here that you will at least listen to advise that you have asked for. There is post after post of useful information in this forum, some outdated but read as well as you will understand that the PI's system is forever changing and you have to keep updated with Visa changes and accept them without argument. I think you have been given a bum steer on your Visa entitlement, do it legit mate. :thumbsup:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi, below is the mail from the embassy 

It is okay to have meetings as well in the Philippines. You may avail of the visa free entry for 30 days even if the purpose of travel is leisure/tourist or business/meetings/conference/seminars.

Sure changes the meaning of tourist. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Yeah I know what you mean, but 80% of my job is travelling, all counties I visit in Middle East, Africa and Asia is the same, I even do training and this comes in under a tourist visa in many countries some they give a business visa at the airport, they just charge more, I explained the full situation to the Embassy so I'm happy with the reply but once married then of course this will then be clear, so fingers crossed it all works out 

• Like 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Heard from an incident where someone used near to 3 hours for just 1.2 km in his car near the Ortigas Center in Manila. Walking would have been much faster.

It did me TWO hours to drive from ManTrade to Boni. Mentioned that to a pinay yesterday and she experienced 1.5 hours from ManTrade to Ayala. And I was driving a stick-shift - NOT fun.

Back when I had an office near Makati Cinema Square I was asked to meet with some business owners near Makati Medical ASAP. When I arrived 10 minutes later they asked how I got there so fast. My answer was, "I walked."

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

Yeah I know what you mean, but 80% of my job is travelling, all counties I visit in Middle East, Africa and Asia is the same, I even do training and this comes in under a tourist visa in many countries some they give a business visa at the airport, they just charge more, I explained the full situation to the Embassy so I'm happy with the reply but once married then of course this will then be clear, so fingers crossed it all works out 

As long as it works for you. Anyway can you please quote who you are replying to. Makes it easier for other to follow the thread. :thumbsup:

PaulB
Posted
Posted
On 09/01/2018 at 2:44 PM, Mick said:

Hi, normally yes, but as I have a house in Phil it's more for convenience as I'm looking after the Asia area and they are saving the costs they incur for me here in Dubai, so they are just taking it as my home country  so dont really want to rock the boat, so better I get on with it my self and keep quite 

Mick

I am in Abu Dhabi so if you need any advise I am happy to support. Not sure how you have a house in the Philippines already as you are not married or have an ACR residence but maybe you have a condo. I have a house and businesses in the Philippines and am happy to share my experiences to date if that helps.

Paul

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sure changes the meaning of tourist. :smile:

I spoke to My lawyer a while ago and asked about this ( she is an immigration Lawyer in CEBU) she pointed me to this

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/temporary-visitor-s-visa

Not a 9g nor a 9a and seems to have all things covered one way or another, not sure if it helps but it is what it is