Duty free Manila

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have heard stories of a duty free shop by Manila airport (not clark).I am travelling in 2 weeks and when I return I would like to look around this shop as I have 5 hours to wait.I have heard that there are foreign foods there which I would like to buy.I have 30k of baggage allowance and I can only think that my suitcase will only be about 10k.So can anybody tell me where and how to get there.Many thanks in advance.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Maybe this one:

http://www.dfp.com.ph/node/478

From Trip Advisor:

Re: Manila NAIA duty free

February 12, 2017, 2:18 pm

I never ever buy at Manila airport duty free shops as you won't save any money and most of them are available at other supermarkets and all they have are cigarettes, wine and chocolates. What I frequent is the Duty Free Fiesta Mall besides Terminal 1. I usually buy imported products there which you I can't find in other stores. I'm not a smoker so I don't have any idea about cigarette prices. For wines & liquor except for a few brands like Johnny Walker and Chivas, you would not save money if you just buy 1 bottle but there are many offerings like 6 bottles for the price of 4.

I love Italian and Swiss chocolates and I find them to be cheaper than Rustans supermarket while SM and Robinsons don't sell them. We bought a 49-inch Samsung LED TV which was $100 cheaper than at SM malls.

I seldom see foreigners at Duty Free Fiesta Mall as they are mainly targeting returning Filipino expats that's why you can buy there what you won't find in other duty free shops anywhere else abroad.

For a foreigner it is unheard of buying golf balls, ice cream, coffee, kosher salt, rubber shoes, washing machine, microwave oven and a frying pan at duty free stores but yes they are all available at a duty free mall here in Manila 😊😊😊

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Is that walking distance?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Appears to have one in each terminal

duty.jpg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Is that walking distance?

It says 200 m from T1 on that webpage.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Many moons ago when l bought a new camera I was able to buy duty free from a camera shop which was not a duty free shop by showing them my tickets for a flight out of Australia. Is that the same in other places or was that store somehow duty free. Just a camera store in a mall. (Australia) 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Many moons ago when l bought a new camera I was able to buy duty free from a camera shop which was not a duty free shop by showing them my tickets for a flight out of Australia. Is that the same in other places or was that store somehow duty free. Just a camera store in a mall. (Australia) 

I did hear that you have to show your ticket or boarding pass not sure which.I will probably go to the nearest one.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

show your ticket

correct you have to show your ticket. It is a pretty good walk from the airport (if you are talking about the main duty free along Santos blvd. 

When we first started visiting in the early 90s it was a family outing. We would take the relatives, eat at the food court and shop for all the things that were not available at the market. Toilet paper was popular :hystery:. We rarely go there anymore as most things kan be found at SR and other places. 

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In the UK and, AFAIK, most European countries you can reclaim VAT on purchases from major shops if the goods are being taken out of the EU area. I did this a few years ago when I purchased half a dozen shirts from Marks and Spencer.

Most stores have a minimum purchase amount (typically £100). 

When you make the purchase you tell the shop assistant that you will be travelling outside the EU and ask for a VAT invoice. The process you follow is well documented but two key points to keep-in-mind are:

1) The goods need to be shown to Customs when you depart (so keep them separate from your checked baggage).

2) The agent that reimburses you will charge a fee so you will get back less than you expect.

Edited by not so old china hand
Brackets

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is that the same in other places or was that store somehow duty free.

They have this in Singapore.  You need to ask for a form / special receipt at the store where you make the purchase, then there are several counters at the airport where you claim the VAT.