Duty free Manila

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They have this in Singapore.  You need to ask for a form / special receipt at the store where you make the purchase, then there are several counters at the airport where you claim the VAT.

Wasn't that way that I remember but been a long time. I am talking about a regular camera store in a shopping mall in Australia at the time where I had to prove I was going out of the country and the camera would have been packed in my luggage somewhere or carry on.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I am talking about a regular camera store in a shopping mall in Australia at the time where I had to prove I was going out of the country and the camera would have been packed in my luggage somewhere or carry on.  

Yes, this was a regular store, Courts Electronics on Orchard.  If I recall correctly, I could not get the refund because I didn't have my passport with me at the store and there was no way we could go to the hotel (too far) and get my passport.  Not exactly sure how the airport bit worked but I did see the counters and they were fairly busy.

I just looked it up and it is GST refund.  It may be even more sophisticated now where some retailers take care of everything:

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/GST/Consumers/Tourist-Refund-Scheme/

• Like 1