7 Fil-Am doctors, nurses killed in Cebu

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Shame so many lives lost from a van driver falling asleep. 

7 Fil-Am doctors, nurses killed in Cebu road crash

Police say the victims were Filipino Americans from Chicago and New York who were in Cebu to visit tourist spots

CEBU, Philippines – Seven Filipino American doctors and nurses visiting tourist destinations in Cebu were killed when their van rammed into a tree in Barangay Legaspi, Alegria town at noon on Saturday, January 20.

In a spot report, the Alegria Police Station identified the fatalities as Aurora M. Gagni, Joseph Huang, Juvelia Huang, Nunilo Rubio, Rey Pascual, Diana Pascual, and Berniti Rojas.

Leonor Tsai and Fred Tsai sustained injuries, police said.

Alegria Police Chief Senior Inspestor Efren Diaz said the victims were onboard a Toyota Grandia when the driver, Gilbert dela Cruz, allegedly fell asleep on their way to Badian town around noontime on Saturday.

Initial reports showed that the victims came from Oslob town to watch the famous whale sharks and were on their way to Kawasan Falls in Badian. The victims – all US citizens of Filipino descent – were residents of Chicago and New York, Diaz said.

The police said the group of US-based nurses and doctors were scheduled to be in Camiguin province for a medical mission next week but decided to drop by Cebu to visit the province's tourist attractions.

The van's driver was brought to the Alegria Police Station following the incident. The driver admitted he lacked sleep while driving the van but denied accusations that he is a drug user. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/194128-us-based-doctors-nurses-killed-cebu-road-crash

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

What a tragic ending may they all RIP, strange the driver survived 

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

What a tragic ending may they all RIP, strange the driver survived 

Likely the only one who was wearing a seatbelt and even if not, I’m sure the airbag played a major role in his escaping serious injury. 

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, Gator said:

Likely the only one who was wearing a seatbelt and even if not, I’m sure the airbag played a major role in his escaping serious injury. 

Yes Gator--I read that the driver's airbag was what saved him. There are conflicting news reports, but one said that the death toll had risen to nine people killed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Yes Gator--I read that the driver's airbag was what saved him. There are conflicting news reports, but one said that the death toll had risen to nine people killed.

Cebu Sunstar newspaper just arrived--they are now stating that there are still only 7 people dead. So much for accuracy, but some good news anyway.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

they are now stating that there are still only 7 people dead. So much for accuracy, but some good news anyway.

Not good news for the same seven. :4617:

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/22/2018 at 8:06 PM, Queenie O. said:

Cebu Sunstar newspaper just arrived--they are now stating that there are still only 7 people dead. So much for accuracy, but some good news anyway.

The later report that raised the death toll to 9 said two of the three taken to the hospital later died.  But then even more recent stories just say seven, so how knows!

I have mutual friends in Chicago with two of the victims.  Several came from the same hospital so they are in a bit of turmoil now.  A little more detail is in this report:

http://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2018/01/22/1780236/two-more-die-alegria-crash

CEBU, Philippines — Two of the three balikbayans who were victims of the accident in Alegria, Cebu last Saturday died in the hospital bringing the total fatalities to nine.

PO2 Eric Bongbong of Alegria police, however, said they have yet to identify who among three victims — Leonora Tsai, Alfred Tsai, and Elinita Rubio, passed away yesterday.

The three were among the 10 passengers of a Grandia van that hit a mahogany tree in Barangay Legaspi, Alegria, Cebu Saturday noon.  The seven other passengers were declared dead on arrival by the attending physician in the hospital.

They are identified by the police as Aurora Gagni, Joseph Huang, Juvella Huang, Nunilo Rubio, Rey Pascual, Diana Pascual, and Bernes Roxas.

Bongbong said that the family of Roxas already contacted them and expressed their intention to file a case against the driver, Gilbert Dela Cruz, 44, Argao, Cebu.

The victims are US-Filipino medical practitioners who were having a brief vacation in Cebu.  They were supposed to fly to Camiguin to hold a medical mission today.

Dela Cruz, who also owns the van, admitted to the police that he fell asleep while driving and was just awakened when he hit the mahogany tree.

"Niangkon man ni siya nga four days straight ni siya walay tulog. Na black-out gyod daw ni siya ato nga higayona," said Bongbong.  (He admitted he did not have enough sleep for the straight four days.  He had a mental blackout seconds before the accident.)

The victims hired the van with Dela Cruz as the driver so they can have a tour in southern Cebu South.

They were from Oslob town and on their way to Kawasan Falls in Badian when the met the accident

Edited by KC813
correction
  • Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

This is a little old now, but the most recent follow-up to KC's post. More updates will follow over time I'm sure.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2018/01/22/alegria-road-accident-had-7-casualties-not-9-earlier-reported-585205

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No matter Queenie what the follow ups are it was an Accident Looking to happen, I have Hired these vehicles before and on most occasions as a Driver myself I have had to say HEY Slow done we have all day. :huh: It is sad but :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Once coming from San Jose to Iloilo we took the little minibus and the driver was overtaking on blind corners, about halfway it made its regular stop to pick up more passengers. The wife and I refused to get back in when the driver wanted to continue and woe and behold, so did the other passengers. It took two bloody hours for another driver to turn up, but at least I'm not pushing daisies, nor are the other passengers.

• Like 2