"Retired US Army soldier shot dead while jogging in Bohol"

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Eric A said:

It could have been a "Hit" carried out by ISIS members or an affiliated terrorist group such as Abu Sayyaf.

Do you think this is likely to happen and have no one take credit for it?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you think this is likely to happen and have no one take credit for it?

Besides the trademark is to detach the head not shoot. :9436:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
Eric A
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I did not get the "detach the head joke". I cannot comment further nor defer about any visit.

Stay Safe and Good Luck to All !!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Eric A said:

Sorry, I did not get the "detach the head joke".

Not a joke.  Terrorists, in particular the Abu Sayaf group, seem to prefer decapitating their victims publicly.  Drive by shootings is not "their thing".  Fortunately there are not many of that type who are active north of Mindanao province, 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...
Capa
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think there is more to the reasons why these foreigners were killed. Shooting anyone for whatever reason, is serious, especially in the Philippines. I think it was a revenge attack, for something that has happened in the past, involving a promise or a deal involving money. Filipinos are very eastern and keeping face is most important and even in situations involving family honor. Foreigners bragging and showing off is another cultural mistake. With the gap between rich and poor is getting bigger and dealing with money in public is also a sensitive issue. Now the Philippines is getting increasingly dangerous for foreigners. I have 5 years being married to a Filipina and traveling to Mindanao, on a regular basis. I have had no problems, as I try to learn from the locals and behave accordingly. I feel safer in Mindanao than anywhere else in the Philippines.
Edited by Capa
  • Like 2

Doug B
Posted
Posted

Thanks Capa, im Mindanao bound next year, a barangay in Sultan Kuldarat, they seem to be dealing with the BIFF and the NPA effectively , my gf says her province is safe from bad guys, although im sure there are dodgy characters about, I've made friends with the neighbours and friends and family through social media, and will do in person, i know its a risk going there, but there's risk everywhere..just look at London!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Capa said:

I feel safer

I bet that retired army soldier felt safe enough to go jogging in Bohol.  Our feelings are often the least reliable indicator of what is safe unless you are Jack Reacher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Capa
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Doug B said:

Thanks Capa, im Mindanao bound next year, a barangay in Sultan Kuldarat, they seem to be dealing with the BIFF and the NPA effectively , my gf says her province is safe from bad guys, although im sure there are dodgy characters about, I've made friends with the neighbours and friends and family through social media, and will do in person, i know its a risk going there, but there's risk everywhere..just look at London!

Yes, agreed, Doug, I am not so familiar with that barangay, but despite US State Dept warnings, I've run into no trouble. Heck, my old Air Force unit even had a detachment in Mindanao!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, Doug B said:

Thanks Capa, im Mindanao bound next year, a barangay in Sultan Kuldarat, they seem to be dealing with the BIFF and the NPA effectively , my gf says her province is safe from bad guys, although im sure there are dodgy characters about, I've made friends with the neighbours........

Hello Doug,

I have never been to Mindanao but I've been to places (Mindoro and Luzon) where the PNP and Philippine Army "seem to be dealing with the bad guys effectively".  That usually means increased alert status with road blocks and check points manned by anybody in uniform with an Armalite (M-16).   Of course, at certain parts of Mindanao and elsewhere, there are other uniform types that may request a revolutionary tax to enter their controlled area.  Process with caution and just listen to the locals.

But if you're the friendly type or a people person, may I suggest a simple gesture of handing out cold bottles of water as you go through these check points.  Believe me, they will remember your kindness, your vehicle and your smile.  

Have you guys ever heard about the underground culture of name dropping?  It is one of the ways to protect your ass by simple mentioning a name and title (a certain sergeant, major, colonel, senator, etc) to the PNP that pulled your over.  Since I'm Filipino, I had the advantage through my wife's connection of possessing a business card with hand written instructions that said: Jake and Judy shall be treated with utmost respect and dignity to continue their journey without impediment.  Signed by Provincial Treasurer of Cavite.  

We never pulled it out.  I guess word got around that we are law biding balikbayans (returning countrymen) and they remember the cold bottles of water (sometimes pizzas) given to them over the years (Cavite and Batangas province, Luzon).  I must mention however, that my way of having connections may not work for everyone.  Again, proceed with caution, even during major election campaign.   

Respectfully Jake  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1