Manila airport baggage problem

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Manila airport fired a major contractor and announced a raft of new security measures on Friday after a spate of baggage thefts at the main Philippine gateway once derided as the world's worst airport.

President Rodrigo Duterte summoned airport authorities and the transport minister on Thursday and ordered them to put a stop to the thieving, Manila International Airport general manager Ed Monreal told reporters.

"I am really ashamed over what is happening, what our passengers are going through," Monreal said.

"Let us all work together to stop these embarrassing incidents."

Monreal said the airport would not renew the operating licence of one ground handling company serving 14 carriers after passengers on at least two flights lodged formal complaints over items stolen from their luggage.

It also ordered other contractors to equip baggage handlers and security personnel with body cameras, install closed circuit television in their working areas, and remove all pockets from their uniforms.

Monreal said surveillance footage had confirmed the pilferage, with authorities also finding evidence including "boots that allow them (suspects) to hide stuff at their feet".

The airport has filed criminal charges against a number of suspected thieves, he said without elaborating.

MIASCOR, the company that lost its Manila airport contract, did not reply to AFP's request for comment.

Manila airport, also known as Ninoy Aquino International Airport, says 20.4 million passengers used the hub last year.

It topped the list of worst airports on the travel website "The Guide to Sleeping in Airports" from 2011-2013, causing the government to make major renovations.

Travellers have long criticised its "dilapidated facilities", dishonest airport workers, rude officials and long waiting times, the website said.

In 2015 the government investigated claims of an extortion racket involving security personnel planting bullets in passengers' luggage and demanding money not to press charges for illegal possession of bullets, punishable by up to 12 years in prison.

Officials said the extortion ended after the 2016 election of Duterte, a fiery politician who warned in his campaign speeches that he would force airport security personnel to eat any bullets they found in passenger luggage.

Yahoo news.

They had to do something with this problem and about time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

It topped the list of worst airports on the travel website "The Guide to Sleeping in Airports" from 2011-2013

It still tops my list of the worst airport in the world, at least from all the ones I have been to.  I only use NAIA when I can get fast connecting flights and I do not have any luggage and I do not have to change terminals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

The Guide to Sleeping in Airports

If a guy is sleeping in airports, they are either a whole lot younger than I am or is picks some really bad airlines :hystery:

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, scott h said:

If a guy is sleeping in airports, they are either a whole lot younger than I am or is picks some really bad airline

Some airports, like Hong Kong, have free lounge chairs if you know where to look for them.  Easy to sleep on for a few hours.  Most nice airports have paid lounges where you can get a bed and/or a shower.  Sleeping in a modern airport is much better than it was years ago.

On my way back from Canada I was going to spoil myself with a room at the Airport Regal Hotel in Hong Kong.  They were on sale.  But I decided not to and its a good thing as my flight was 9  hours late and I would have paid for nothing.  Instead i paid $30 in the airport lounge for a shower and used the free lounge chair for a nap.  Highly recommended for short layovers (mine turned out to be a 6 hour layover).

But NAIA is not one of those nice airports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

It must have worked firing them Friday i Ianded 5.40am Saturday and was finished and outside waiting for my Uber at 6.10 with all my luggage, but terminal 3 has always been better than terminal 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Remember the bullet scam at NAIA?  Is the same airport general manager still holding that position?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Remember the bullet scam at NAIA?  Is the same airport general manager still holding that position?  

I don`t think so seem to remember reading he was replaced Jake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But NAIA is not one of those nice airports.

My recent experiences have not been too bad. Terminal 3 has had a makeover and had at least one comfortable coffee shop open 24 hours the last time I had an early flight from there (2016).

As I mentioned a couple of months ago Philippine Airlines  have a transit lounge in Terminal 2 for those using PAL on international flights with a stopover in Manila. This has comfortable armchairs in a room that is well-lit if one wishes to read, a darkened room with loungers for those that wish to sleep and showers. In my case I was also given a voucher for breakfast that could be used in a coffee shop in the departure area.

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, not so old china hand said:

My recent experiences have not been too bad. Terminal 3 has had a makeover and had at least one comfortable coffee shop open 24 hours the last time I had an early flight from there (2016).

As I mentioned a couple of months ago Philippine Airlines  have a transit lounge in Terminal 2 for those using PAL on international flights with a stopover in Manila. This has comfortable armchairs in a room that is well-lit if one wishes to read, a darkened room with loungers for those that wish to sleep and showers. In my case I was also given a voucher for breakfast that could be used in a coffee shop in the departure area.

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Terminal 3 at NAIA has a comfortable lounge on the 4th floor. They have two locations, one in part of a spa/massage salon which has reclining seats and from memory was about 250php for up to 4 hours or for a longer layover they have the Wings hotel type place which has various sized ( and priced)  'sleep capsules' which include free food and drinks and luggage  storage. 

I have used it a couple of times on longish transit times between flights. 

https://jipang-group.com/thewings/

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2