Tourist Visa Info at BI Dumaguete

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Arriving back in Philippines on Jan 9 meant I had 30 free days before going to BI and getting my first extension (which will be 29 days).  I decided to do it today as there is no point waiting until the last minute and I was curious how things have changed now that the express fees are allowed again,

The initial procedure is the same as before.  Guard gives you a number and a form which you fill out while waiting.  When your number gets called you get to talk to a young lady who explains the new options.  Here they are:

If you want to pay 1000 pesos express lane fee then you get the same service as before.  Pay 3,130 and leave your passport overnight.  You can pick it up with the visa extension all done the next day.

If you don't want to pay 1000 pesos express lane fee then you must come back in exactly 3 business days to pay for your visa (for me: on Friday I will pay 2,130) and then come back 7 business days later to pick up your passport.

It seems they realized that no one will pay the 1000 peso express lane fee if they have to come back in 7 days instead of 1 day so they added an extra step to come back in 3 days to pay the fee.  It is pure, unadulterated bullshit to scam an extra 1,000 pesos out of foreigners who will not play their silly game.  For me, I said:  "I live close by so its no problem to make 2 trips in order to save 1,000 pesos."  She gave me a look that suggested she was thinking the same thing but I am sure many foreigners will pay the extra 1,000 to avoid an extra trip to BI.

At least the express lane fee is currently optional and those who's money is more important than their time will be able to save that fee.  How is it at the other BI offices around the country?  Anyone seeing any changes?

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have not had to go back since they reintroduced the express fee (as I am now on a 13a). Here in Iloilo I know how it was before, though.  The Express Fee allowed you same day service.  If I have to go back I would not pay it. Next day or 3 days - it is still a return trip. I would only pay it for same day service.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I would only pay it for same day service.

In the past (long ago and not in Dumaguete) I have had tourist renewals stamped in my passport in half an hour (in Tacloban).  For that service I would gladly have paid the 1000 because it would have saved me an 8 hour round trip by car from where I lived.  This bullshit in Dumaguete is ridiculous.  For 1000 pesos they should be able to do it right there, right now, and within the hour.  So I will continue to do as I am doing and play their game.  So long as they give me the 6 month visa when I go next month then I really don't care.  I only have to put up with them twice a year at that point.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I haven't been back since the reintroduction of express fees. Before it was in and out in 20 mins, last time it was around 45 mins and come back in 3 days, for P1930, this is in Gensan. 6 months not available here.

Two friends have recently been to Glan office for 6 months, cost P7400, took around 30 mins and came away with passport with relevant extension. Glan is around 45 mins beyond Gensan.

Mileage certainly does vary!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

So this graphic still applies...

flow chart.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

So this graphic still applies...

flow chart.jpg

Of Course as you must know it is MORE FUN

• Haha 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

In early 2015 I needed a visa extension in Manila, we paid the express fee and we were in and out in less than an hour. A fixer even filled out the paperwork for me, cost 100 peso, guard 50 peso, but supplied a chair for me to sit on and keep people away, and passport back with the extension stamp there and then.

The way I looked at it, 600 peso round trip, stand in line for hours, the place is packed, not knocking any race, but the place stunk of BO and you had to come back in 7 days to pick up your passport. Do the sums and understand, either way your going to get screwed, just part of the PI if you want to stay longer, no good grumbling. :4617: Do what this fellow did.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So long as they give me the 6 month visa when I go next month then I really don't care

I have another friend that got a 6 month a couple days before you got back. Seems once the express lane fee returned so did the ability to process 6 month extensions.

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

In early 2015 I needed a visa extension in Manila, we paid the express fee and we were in and out in less than an hour. A fixer even filled out the paperwork for me, cost 100 peso, guard 50 peso, but supplied a chair for me to sit on and keep people away, and passport back with the extension stamp there and then.

The way I looked at it, 600 peso round trip, stand in line for hours, the place is packed, not knocking any race, but the place stunk of BO and you had to come back in 7 days to pick up your passport. Do the sums and understand, either way your going to get screwed, just part of the PI if you want to stay longer, no good grumbling. :4617: Do what this fellow did.

I am on a 13a but when I was on a tourist visa here it made no sense to pay the extra fee (if I had a choice then) as some of us around here usually go by the BI office a few times a week.I am in town at least 3 times a week so if I could avoid the extra I would.But for people who have to travel it makes sense.

• Like 2