Licence plates maybe soon arriving.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

SC says LTO can release 700,000 license plates
This is expected to address the backlog in the issuance of license plates to motorists

Rappler.com
Published 7:35 PM, January 23, 2018
Updated 7:35 PM, January 23, 2018

DELAYED. License plates seized at the Manila International Container Port. File photo from Bureau of Customs Public Information and Assistance Division 

DELAYED. License plates seized at the Manila International Container Port. File photo from Bureau of Customs Public Information and Assistance Division

MANILA, Philippines – Around 700,000 license plates can now be released to motorists after the Supreme Court (SC) lifted the temporary restraining order (TRO) it issued in 2016.

The TRO had prevented the Land Transportation Office (LTO) from releasing the license plates. With the lifting of the TRO, there is no hurdle at this point to the release of the plates.

SC Spokesperson Theodore Te said in a news conference on Tuesday, January 23, that the en banc denied the petitions to declare as illegal the donation of the 700,000 license plates to the LTO.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) confiscated 300,000 license plates for motor vehicles and 400,000 plates for motorcycles in 2016 after the manufacturer failed to pay taxes. Instead of disposing of these, the BOC donated the plates to the LTO to address the latter's backlog in issuing plates to motorists.

Petitioners questioned the legality of the donation, saying it would be in conflict with the notice of disallowance that was issued against the LTO-Motor Vehicle License Plate Standardization Program (LTO-MVLPSP).

In lifting the TRO, the SC en banc unanimously ruled that the budget for the standardization program in the 2014 General Appropriations Act (GAA) was constitutional.

"The appropriation, both for procurement and implementation, has been examined and decided by the Court and may not be assailed anew under the present petition based on the same grounds," Te said.

The modernized license plates include new safety features such as tamper-resistant locks and bolts as well as reflectorized sheeting. – Rappler.com

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Great, except that many of these vehicles have been sold once or twice since the license plate fiasco started.  Wonder how the current owners will get their plates? Glad its not my worry.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Great, except that many of these vehicles have been sold once or twice since the license plate fiasco started.  Wonder how the current owners will get their plates? Glad its not my worry.

Nor mine it`s a fiasco that happens all too often here.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I wonder if we will get the plate that we had to pay for two years ago?  When we did the smoke test this year they had to use marking pen to color the plate numbers prior to taking the picture.:smile:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I wonder if we will get the plate that we had to pay for two years ago? 

I stopped worrying about this kind of incompetent krap a while ago as long as there is a legal work around. I just make sure my car is registered and have the paper work with me. And besides when was the last time any of us actually saw a traffic enforcer write someone a ticket (unless it was close to merianda time :hystery:)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I stopped worrying about this kind of incompetent krap a while ago as long as there is a legal work around. I just make sure my car is registered and have the paper work with me. And besides when was the last time any of us actually saw a traffic enforcer write someone a ticket (unless it was close to merianda time :hystery:)

I see a lot of impounding and ticket writing here.I get stopped quite often when they have checkpoints.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

.I get stopped quite often when they have checkpoints.

And if you have all the proper paperwork and such,,,,,no sense worrying about it. :thumbsup:  let em stop to their hearts content :nudie: