Price comparison public markets

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I have never been to the wet market here for those reasons!  I have been wanting to take a walk through by myself but parking is bad in the area, so I usually just drop my wife.

I go to the wet market often, at least twice a week. It is very seldom an extra is tried to be added, if that is the case I walk away to another stall, same like tricycles. I don't buy meat there, just chicken and fish, on those stalls the prices are displayed. 

Regarding percentage rises, small tuna we buy for the dogs has gone from P70-P90 kg in good weather but after rain and storms it can reach P130. I now buy them small Tilapia at P60 kg. I buy fish from the wholesaler. Fish is not alone in this, I have seen mangoes go from P40-P100 kg in a short time, as an example. So the 10%-20% doesn't really apply here.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My experience mostly comes from shopping at the large central market in Baguio. There is a tourist section and then the bulk of the market where locals shop. Most vendors listed prices and we rarely negotiated. As others have related there are many variables. Many things have prices that vary by season. For example strawberries. During peak of season very cheap. Much more expensive out of season. Markets down in the lowland may not even have strawberries available. Generally vegetables will be very fresh and at a low price in Baguio. But fish and seafood will cost more because they have to be driven up from the coast. See a how much those flowers you buy for Valentines cost compared to a normal weekday.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

My girlfriend and her sister do the weekly shopping at the Angeles City Market and I stay home. She says that she negotiates with vendors to get the best price and she can fill the refrigerator with her 2,500p weekly allowance. I do most of the shopping for western products at the S&R in Dau after she has told me what brands she prefers. The system seems to work well.