VHF TV stations Who is their target market?

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

VHF (channels 2 to 13) TV stations

Who is their target market?

My landlady – retired, a college grad – spends 10 to 12 hours a day watching TV usually at a volume which would drown out a DC-3 on take-off. Ironically she can hear a cockroach crawling in the cupboard.

So I cannot help but overhear and occasionally see (when I pass by the sala). The content for ABS-CBN – her favourite station seems to be almost all variety shows and tele-drams aka soap operas.

The variety shows all seem rather low-brow with crude humour and antics.

The tele-dramas are of the same theme and acting; OA and OTT; over-acting and over-the-top. Endless wailing or screaming. Tears or angry without end.  Contrived dilemmas. Dialogue and delivery is grade school. 

So who is their target market?  The landlady has a college education but watching this stuff for hourS each day, day after day, week afer week would drop any IQ by 50 points.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's sad and difficult to understand what with all the talent available in Philippines domestic TV and movies is very low quality. Dolphy was one of very few exceptions but he is passed on now. 

The target is where the money is so......

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

Contrived dilemmas. Dialogue and delivery is grade school. 

Reminds me of Gilligan's Island or Three's Company.  Is it so different from popular shows in other cultures?  As to who it is aimed at, the shows try to find the lowest common denominator and it seems they succeed.

Off topic:  I miss Willy.  Where is that guy who used to hand out 5,000 pesos to whoever could give the best and most tearful sob story on Philippine TV?

• Like 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

True ..........Laverne & Shirley tops my list of inane programming 

But this is non-stop inanity  - all day and all night

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Off topic:  I miss Willy.  Where is that guy who used to hand out 5,000 pesos to whoever could give the best and most tearful sob story on Philippine TV?

The exploitation of emotional distress is another sad mark on pinoy programming.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

The exploitation of emotional distress is another sad mark on pinoy programming.

And YET it is allowed to carry on regardless of what is promised by those that CAN change things (If they wanted too that is) But.......:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, allancomeau said:

So who is their target market?

Everyone, my college educated wife, will sit for hours with our two middle aged non English speaking maids watching inane teleseriye and variety shows,,,,,and yes at an extremely loud volume :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Everyone, my college educated wife, will sit for hours with our two middle aged non English speaking maids watching inane teleseriye and variety shows,

:mellow: I am beginning to think I should Turn the TV OFF at mealtimes :console:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I should Turn the TV OFF

and actually have a conversation?? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said: