Dehumidifier

PaulB
Posted
Posted

All

When I was home (Philippines) last in Dec, I noticed our house smelt a bit musky. I believe this was caused by it getting damp inside from humidity and the fact it was not being lived in. I have just bought a Dehumidifier on Lazada to have running a few hours day whilst we are away. The wife will be moving back to Philippines full time in March 2018,with our dogs, as phase one of getting ready for retirement.

I was just wondering if anyone else had suffered the same humidity issue in their house and if so do you have dehumidifier and does it work.

Last thing I want is moody clothes when I get there!

Appreciate the members feedback.

Paul

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My split aircon has a de-humidify mode that I use when its not really hot and it helps quite a bit.  But it does not seem to be any cheaper running it in that mode as opposed to running it in A/C mode so I think running a de-humidifier must use a lot of power (just an educated guess).

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Last thing I want is moody clothes when I get there!

Appreciate the members feedback.

I hate when my clothes get overly emotional over nothing, then the next minute they are all sweet and loving again.  Drives me nuts!:bonk:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

A dehumidifier is just like runing your aircon on recirculate.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My split aircon has a de-humidify mode that I use when its not really hot and it helps quite a bit.  But it does not seem to be any cheaper running it in that mode as opposed to running it in A/C mode so I think running a de-humidifier must use a lot of power (just an educated guess).

Is your split an inverter type?  On my Carrier inverter split, when it is cool outside, around the same as the temp we set, usually 26, it seems like it is not cooling much (it slows down) but the humidity seems high.  If I turn the temp down, it cools too much for my wife.  It has a "Dry" setting which I have used but not enough to see if I like it.  I will switch it on right now.  It is about 26 outside right now.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Is your split an inverter type? 

Not the one I am referring to.  It has 3 modes: A/C, dehumidify, and fan only.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

(just an educated guess)

Are you qualified for that :hystery:

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you qualified for that :hystery:

Well that made me think.  And when I think I google.  I happened to run into a page where a lot of people are discussing my exact air conditioner and the exact conditions I was mentioning.  Seems there is no general agreement among users about whether you save any substantial amount while on dehumidify mode but my take on it is . . . I was right :hystery:

Here is the link if interested

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

For clothes you don't intend to use within the next few weeks, there are plastic bags that you can attach to the hose of a vacuum cleaner. It sucks out the air and the potential for humidity build-up. Also makes the clothes more compact for storage.

A cheap dehumidifier is to store a sack of rice (burlap, not plastic) in a closet. Make sure the doors have rubber seals or add them. The dry rice will absorb moisture. This is also recommended if you drop a cellular phone in water. Wipe off all the excess water and place the phone in a container filled with rice. Then take it to repair shop so they can open the case. More likely, in the Philippines, they will continue with the dry rice treatment until all the moisture is gone.

We had several dehumidifiers running in the house. The problem is the water container fills and the unit shuts down. You need to empty it. Depending on the humidity level, this could be a couple of days or weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We had several dehumidifiers running in the house. The problem is the water container fills and the unit shuts down. You need to empty it. Depending on the humidity level, this could be a couple of days or weeks. 

Some dehumidifiers hava a drain outlet. (just a plastic tube that pushes onto the pipe that fills the water container)

If you site the dehumidifier on the draining board next to a sink and leave the end of the tube in the sink it will constantly drain and not fill the tank.

Ken

• Like 2