What motorcycle?

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I am about one year out before I retire. I have been to the PI 5 times diving and just renting bikes looking around. I see now some bigger bikes are coming in to the PI. I have rented the Honda 150 Enduro, Xrm-sucks-YBR old and worn out. I am 220 lbs fat yes! Will end up in the Panglao/Dumagete/Cebu area. And want to travel around and haul some gear, from my home place which I just said before. I want a new bike and am leaning towards the Honda CB500X or Yamahe Serow 250. I drive slow but want to go off road/jungle roads/sand. Open to all but what would you buy? Note my inseam is about 31 inch and I need to be flat footed or have my heals just off the ground. It is funny that I post this because in the states when I buy a car I buy what I want not what I need.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

what would you buy?

an insurance policy with great death benefits :nudie::hystery:

sorry couldn't resist 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I made the mistake of buying a Russi 250cc which is a rip off of the Honda CBR. I'm now finding for the roads around here it's too top heavy. If you want to turn around in a narrow lane you've got to get off and physically haul it around. It's also no good for off road and when it loses traction you're not going to put your leg down to stop yourself. A simple moped works wonders even on 100 km road trips.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I drive slow but want to go off road/jungle roads/sand.

Then you need a bike which is powerful enough to get up the hills but light enough for you to stop it and keep it upright when going downhill and the road turns to a load of wet pebbles, ruts and mud.  Anything too big will cause you grief in that situation and it will happen many times.

Up to you what size you get as you have to sit on it to see how it feels and how it turns and handles.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Domino22 said:

And want to travel around and haul some gear, from my home place which I just said before.  I want a new bike and am leaning towards the Honda CB500X or Yamahe Serow 250. I drive slow but want to go off road/jungle roads/sand. Open to all but what would you buy?

Depends what you mean by "travel around and haul some gear". How many hours you plan riding on one trip? How much is 'some' gear? I sold my Kawasaki Rouser 180 and bought a Honda XR150 last year - EXCELLENT decision. Especially when I changed the sprockets back to the original XR125 setup (16/51 vs the new 17/49 teeth). Puts the shift points back to exactly where they need to be and increases 'usable' torque by putting you in the sweet spot of the power band. If you "need" something bigger I would go for the Honda CRF250. I looked at it and liked it, however the XR150 is just the right mix of light weight and enough engine for the Philippines. At 83,500 pesos cash price it is about 1/3 the price of the CRF, making the XR150 the 'Bang for the Buck' winner by a mile.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Depends what you mean by "travel around and haul some gear". How many hours you plan riding on one trip? How much is 'some' gear?

:hystery: Sorry but i just could not resist this G & G's   Motor cycle.jpg :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I am a life long motorcyclist and I love big bikes (I've got a Harley Street Glide in Australia) but I don't see the point of 'big bikes' in the Philippines.  If you're in a city then the traffic means you can't use the power, if you're in a rural area then overtaking trucks and buses, tricycles, small motorbikes, wandering dogs and other sundry hazards mean it isn't safe to use the speed and power.

An XR150 (with the excellent suggestion of gearing change back to 125 gearing!) would be an excellent choice for rural areas and if you're in a city then I'd just buy a scooter (which for some reason I've never understood are 'motorcycles' here).

The Yamaha Serow is an old design that's been around for a long long time in many countries and it's pretty bullet proof.  It's very simple and maintaining it yourself is easy enough if you want to go that way.

The 500 twin Hondas are a relatively new design and I doubt many Philippines bikes shops would have had much experience with them but the basic design is sound.  I've ridden the CBR500R (which is the same basic motor as the CB500X) and they ride fine and it will certainly be quicker on a good road than the Serow or XR150 (by a lot) but I question whether it's really necessary here.  And if anything it will be slower on a dirt road than the Serow or XR150 because it's not really a 'dirt bike', it's more of a light all roads bike.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've got 1 of those 500cc Honda twins (2017 Rebel), it's been a great bike so far. They're available in the Ph too. A friend used a CB500 in Thailand for a few months and said it was great.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Domino22
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your thoughts. As for the baggage I would like to be able to use some soft panniers for a 1 to 10 day trip around the islands and have a ice chest on top of an added cargo rack. I have a Kriega bag system. As for the bikes mentioned the CB500X I would change the tires to a better off road tire maybe 60/40 or so. The Serow is already setup for my travel plans more or less. Anything less than 150cc or lower I feel at my size would struggle going up hills or off road trails/roads not motocross but just trail riding. Yes I agree for just going into town or short rides etc. a scooter or 125cc enduro would be fine. Here is another thought about Bohol  awesome roads and the ride from Panglao to Tubigon would rock on a KTM 390 verse a Serow 250, but that said what about all the side roads off that road? Even the main road around the island can hit road repair and those street tires and mud and water do not work well. I could buy a cheap scooter for Dumagete to get around but I need a "Adventure" bike for my planned exploring this great place. Add a mini van for the rainy season.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I love reading about bikes,one of the dreams I have is to go on a motorcycle  adventure ,I currently ride a Honda F6 c  or commonly known  as a valkyrie , far to big a lump for those rougher roads.

I'd preferr a thumper like a Yamaha xt , you got to get the tyres right but boy can you have some fun