Naysayers...can't stand them.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

I wonder if it's just jealousy that I'm getting out of the rat race that is America and they can't.

you got in one buddy

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

Has anyone else experienced people with attitudes like this?  

Yeah mate, reading different threads on this sight, I'd say negative attitudes from family members and friends are common. Media reports and social media are mostly to blame for this, if it's not dramatic, it's not worth writing about. You've been here, lived here you know the score, as you get on that plane to go there full time, give them a smile and just think about what their missing out on, good luck. :7500:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think you hit on the major reason, ignorance. They simply don’t know the facts about Philippines or how you wish to live your life.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I think you hit on the major reason, ignorance. They simply don’t know the facts about Philippines

rose coloured glasses.jpg :whistling:

Jack:smile:

Morning All ( in a very positive mood Today [so far]:thumbsup: :photo-109:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Mike J said:

1 - Do you like people who are "different" from you in values, culture, outlook, etc?

2 - Are you mentally and emotionally flexible, can you get past frustrations and problems or do you allow them to build up?

Triple LIKE Mike J!  

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I experience much the same to varying degrees from different people.

My kids, who are well traveled, are happy and a little jealous at the same time; but they also have the attitude it'll give them somewhere to stay in PI,  2 of the 3 of them have been there and loved it so they "get" it.

My parents, also well traveled, are happy but a little worried and keep reminding me to stay away from Zamboanga, so at least they're knowledgeable in their caution.  For right or wrong, they see Duterte as a bonus on the safety side.

Most of my ex-navy mates are jealous, in a positive way, and some of them already live there.

My civilian friends' attitudes range from extreme negativity to wholehearted support.  This seems to be based on how much they've traveled outside the Western sphere if at all or straight-out parochialism borne out of some accident of birth and their Australian nationality. 

See a pattern here?

• Like 5