Is it a good idea?

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Depends on the kind of work but most of the time you are legal working in Philippines on a "legal" married visa (common law doesn't count for squat)

No uncommon, its just that guys with younger wives tend to think they are the boss (they got the gold so they make the rules) but coming with someone your own age will probably be a different dynamic.  But you will find that out for yourself.  Filipinas seem to change when they come back to Philippines after living elsewhere.

We'd definitely be getting married and not be just living together so...Filipinas change when they go back home? In what kind of way?

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted

Yup, I appreciate all the advice, guys. I'll just go on a tourist visa initially to check things out and follow my instinct. And if I get any bad vibes then back to the USA I go.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Be very sure you have an exit plan and enough funding available at all times. 10K usd is not much of a cushion if God forbid you suddenly have a serious health issue. Filipino hospitals require money on hand to provide care.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RonnyRay said:

Yup, he kinda makes you lose hope, doesn't he? Lol...

Well you said you had $10000, salt $2000 away and don't touch it, then if things start going pear shape, at least you've got a way out. You'll know by the time you've splashed $8000 around how your financially traveling. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, good luck.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Seems to me that your Filipina girlfriend is making an investment in YOU.  Go with your gut on this one and take a chance.  Your having lived in Thailand and Cambodia U don't think you'll have much culture shock and with her sister helping you guys out sounds like a good deal to me.

If you start a business though try and make it unique.  As mentioned sari-sari stores are a dime a dozen.😁

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, RonnyRay said:

15 hours ago, RonnyRay said:

I was planning on teaching here in Cambodia

You could teach English online here,many people do and some make a decent chunk of change.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its hard to explain without a bunch of members getting in my face over what is only my opinion but I'll give it a try:

When a filipina is living and working somewhere else she is just another person on the planet.  When she comes home to her family it is like that family found the Holy Grail and they treat her like a Queen.  It doesn't take long before she starts to act like one.  AGAIN, just my opinion based on personal observations of some filipinas.

Dave you just best described my OFW sister in law during her time in Cebu from Canada.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Your in the proverbiale Dave, the missus read the post and she's no queen according to her, God you've ruffled her feathers, but in your defense mate, your 100% right. Gee I have to learn Tagalog, she's still going crook. :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Well you said you had $10000, salt $2000 away and don't touch it, then if things start going pear shape, at least you've got a way out. You'll know by the time you've splashed $8000 around how your financially traveling. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, good luck.

Thanks for the sound advice. Yup, my "Emergency Exit" is $4,000 and if some kind of money isn't coming in by then I'll just call it quits. My wife lives Zambales but wants to open a shop in Marikina City selling herbal supplements although there are other paths if she chooses but the investment capital is limited. In my silly mind, I think of the Chinese and how they do it. Open a shop selling whatever you can and live upstairs and save, save, save just like they do. Shouldn't really be that hard for me from that aspect as that's pretty much what I did in Bangkok and my ex was Thai-Chinese.

• Like 3