Is it a good idea?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 03/02/2018 at 12:32 PM, sonjack2847 said:

You don`t have to be a computer geek. Google online English teachers or words to that effect and see what comes up.

I do online teaching. It's not going to bring in much unless you are willing to put in the hours. 100-150php an hour is an estimate so you can do the math. And you'll pay 8% tax on your income.

You'll need reliable internet and power or you'll run into problems quickly. You'll also need a bank account and a TIN.

It's all doable, but not as simple as it seems if you are going to do it for an income.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/2/2018 at 5:43 PM, Clermont said:

Your in the proverbiale Dave, the missus read the post and she's no queen according to her, God you've ruffled her feathers, but in your defense mate, your 100% right. Gee I have to learn Tagalog, she's still going crook. :hystery: :hystery:

Lol.  Depends on the Filipina I guess.  My wife's family never treats her like a queen.  In fact kind of the opposite.  My MIL one time brought me over some pork adobo she had made.  My wife was sitting right next to me and said where's mine?  My MIL didn't even blink...she said I didn't make any extra.  You can have the bones.  Oh my God was my wife pissed.  I (of course) got another plate to share with my wife.  And this was after my wife gave her money to go to the market.  Lol.  Even now my wife is talking about that and it's a year later.  :shock_40_anim_gif::hungover_40_anim_gif:

Edited by Balisidar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'd be very curious to know the back story on that adobo incident. :popcorn:

Is there some way you could ask another family member without your wife getting "upset". :bash:

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

I'd be very curious to know the back story on that adobo incident. :popcorn:

Is there some way you could ask another family member without your wife getting "upset". :bash:

Hehe.  No real back story here really.  My MIL is actually a little jealous of my wife.  After all she married a "rich" American.  My wife loves her mom very much though and pretty much forgives anything she does.  I think it's pretty much the family dynamics in the Philippines though.  Her mom usually favors her son's over the daughters.

• 3 weeks later...
Corey
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its hard to explain without a bunch of members getting in my face over what is only my opinion but I'll give it a try:

When a filipina is living and working somewhere else she is just another person on the planet.  When she comes home to her family it is like that family found the Holy Grail and they treat her like a Queen.  It doesn't take long before she starts to act like one.  AGAIN, just my opinion based on personal observations of some filipinas.

Interesting.  I never knew them when they were outside the country.  However, when talked with people, I would sometimes get a different vibe (maybe somewhat stuck up...but I think that is too dramatic) and sometimes would ask if they had been outside of the country.  100% I was right.  I always presumed it was going out that changed them not the coming back!

• Like 2

Corey
Posted
Posted

If I was you, I would go back and work in the states  until you have enough credits to qualify for Social Security. 40 quarters or 10 years. I am not sure how many years credit you have currently.  I think it is all good when you are young and have many options for work and are in good health.  I would be very wary to not have a safety net for once I could not work anymore.  There can be a long gap between unemployable and death (although that gap can be narrowed if you dont have any funds for food or healthcare etc.). I would not think anything is stopping you from bringing her to the states if you marry.  She could work in the states too and get SS.  Early 50s, both with social security benefits to kick in at 62..you would be in a much better position. 

Full Disclosure:  I am the kill joy that always ends up doing what I think is the smart thing and never does what I actually want to do. I pay a great price for my extreme conservatism.

• Like 3

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

RR........ I'd say give it a shot.........but keep in mind the advice that's been shared with you  in this talk........I would recommend before you go......that you "rat hole" the money that it takes to get you back to your safe spot.......whether that's back to Cambodia, Thailand, or the US.......lock it away and keep the key to yourself...........then you can go with peace of mind and know that if the S#@t hits the fan then you can hope the silver wings and move on with your life.  Always have options my friend........ But in regards to the business effort.......sure, why not.  If you have a level of trust in you heart with your GF.....then heck ya....you owe it to yourself to give it a shot ........as was said, what have you got to loose..... You're almost here and who knows.....it could possibly work out great.  I agree......you're definitely not going to get rich......and the life style will be meek unless you can supplement........... But I recommend you go for it.......but keep your eyes wide open my friend.  Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how it works for you.

Best Regards

JW

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, Peaceful John said:

RR........ I'd say give it a shot.........but keep in mind the advice that's been shared with you  in this talk........I would recommend before you go......that you "rat hole" the money that it takes to get you back to your safe spot.......whether that's back to Cambodia, Thailand, or the US.......lock it away and keep the key to yourself...........then you can go with peace of mind and know that if the S#@t hits the fan then you can hope the silver wings and move on with your life.  Always have options my friend........ But in regards to the business effort.......sure, why not.  If you have a level of trust in you heart with your GF.....then heck ya....you owe it to yourself to give it a shot ........as was said, what have you got to loose..... You're almost here and who knows.....it could possibly work out great.  I agree......you're definitely not going to get rich......and the life style will be meek unless you can supplement........... But I recommend you go for it.......but keep your eyes wide open my friend.  Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how it works for you.

Best Regards

JW

Thanks, JW. I'm due to arrive on the 11th and will definitely keep in touch with all you guys. I really appreciate the sound advice you have given me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1