My First Month into Retirement.

bows00
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

but the best was the river cruise with lunch on the Lomboc river.

What a coincidence, this cruise was the only thing that peaked my interest.  Will go check it out tomorrow.  

bows00
Posted
Posted

Alona beach is a tourist trap - but I didn't notice anyone from the US or Japan, but there are many Koreans, Chinese and Germans here.  I guess the area is way too expensive for local filipino's, heck the only Filipina's I see are hooked up with old white guys - so what's new right?

Being from Hawaii, the beach did NOT take my breath away.  With all the tourist traffic, I can see the sand eroding to the point it will eventually need to be replenished.  

And the restaurants can also get pricey here, for example, I had a Filipino chicken dish, Thai summer rolls, and 3 beers at the Saffron restaurant (in the Amorita Resort) which came out to 1350p (1500p with tip).  At least the service and ambiance was top notch overlooking the ocean.  

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bows00 said:

What a coincidence, this cruise was the only thing that peaked my interest.  Will go check it out tomorrow.  

If your not out of time try nuts huts on the river, groovy kind of spot that does not break the bank.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

Alona beach is a tourist trap - but I didn't notice anyone from the US or Japan, but there are many Koreans, Chinese and Germans here.  I guess the area is way too expensive for local filipino's, heck the only Filipina's I see are hooked up with old white guys - so what's new right?

Being from Hawaii, the beach did NOT take my breath away.  With all the tourist traffic, I can see the sand eroding to the point it will eventually need to be replenished.  

And the restaurants can also get pricey here, for example, I had a Filipino chicken dish, Thai summer rolls, and 3 beers at the Saffron restaurant (in the Amorita Resort) which came out to 1350p (1500p with tip).  At least the service and ambiance was top notch overlooking the ocean.  

Alona definitely the typical tourist trap, as always try stay back from the beach, same when dining.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

Alona beach is a tourist trap

Why shouldn't it be. Thats how its developed and that is the purpose. Lots of videos on youtube to help discover places in the Philippines before deciding if to go there. Are you going to the Chocolate Hills? 

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2018 at 11:59 PM, bows00 said:

Today, I am catching a Ferry in the Philippines for the first time, and I am off to Bohol.  Several Dumaguete expats have warned me that I will easily get bored there.. oh well, we shall see..

I loved being in Bohol and Panglao ,

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We did the bike hire and went to the Chocolate hills such a long way and dangerous too, next time we did the trip by hiring a driver and car , did the Loboc river tour also.

Seeing the Chocolate hills when there are brown and then green is amazing plus the drive up there and seeing the hanging graves , but blink and you will miss them.

A great highlight was going to Bohol beach club for a relaxing day, so cheap and in the entrance fee was a voucher to spend in the restaurant, a great day that was and better shared with someone special i must add.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

I spent the entire day on Alona beach playing tourist and it was quite fun having beers, soaking up the sun and jumping in the water.  One thing I have noted was that there are a lot of foreign couples and families that populate the beach, restaurants and bars.  And when an old white guy enters the area with his young filipina mate, boy, do the heads turn.  And I mean the heads of the men with wives and families.  In general, the Filipina's are smaller in frame and much skinnier than other foreign women occupying the beach.  And I have seen some Filipina stunners flaunting their two piece - and it is so obvious that I can read the minds of all the envious men - including me!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

such a long way and dangerous too

Why did you think it was dangerous?  I don't remember much traffic but that was 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, stevewool said:

A great highlight was going to Bohol beach club for a relaxing day, so cheap and in the entrance fee was a voucher to spend in the restaurant, a great day that was and better shared with someone special i must add.

We did that too and it is a fond memory of my first week with my wife-to-be.  Just lounging around in the clear, shallow water was really relaxing.  We will go back in May.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

I spent the entire day on Alona beach playing tourist and it was quite fun having beers, soaking up the sun and jumping in the water.  One thing I have noted was that there are a lot of foreign couples and families that populate the beach, restaurants and bars.  And when an old white guy enters the area with his young filipina mate, boy, do the heads turn.  And I mean the heads of the men with wives and families.  In general, the Filipina's are smaller in frame and much skinnier than other foreign women occupying the beach.  And I have seen some Filipina stunners flaunting their two piece - and it is so obvious that I can read the minds of all the envious men - including me!   

Are you staying in the Alona area?  I heard it can been quite noisy in the main area.  I booked an air bnb closer to Danao Beach.  It has beach access but the beach there is not great, so we will beach it elsewhere most of the time.  We are going the first week of May.