Nationalistic, intolerable Filipinos.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I somewhat understand the Pinoy Pride Philippines thing. It's OK even encouraged that Filipinos will disparage Philippines or other Filipinos acting badly but God help any Expat that even slightly suggests the same.

My wife identifies as Filipino, Philippines is home. As a dual US - Philippines citizen she can get all wound up if someone disrespects the US. We talk freely but she is unable to explain her intolerance to other ideas even if they are reasonable. So for her it's not just Philippines it's also the US. Just what is this all about? How do your significant other feel in this regard?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I somewhat understand the Pinoy Pride Philippines thing. It's OK even encouraged that Filipinos will disparage Philippines or other Filipinos acting badly but God help any Expat that even slightly suggests the same.

My wife identifies as Filipino, Philippines is home. As a dual US - Philippines citizen she can get all wound up if someone disrespects the US. We talk freely but she is unable to explain her intolerance to other ideas even if they are reasonable. So for her it's not just Philippines it's also the US. Just what is this all about? How do your significant other feel in this regard?

My wife has lived in the US for 3 years now. It will be interesting to see how she is when we return to live there in a few years.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I found a quote online that sums up my opinion on this quite well so I will use their words:

So, IMHO, I would be patriotic and stand up for the country I have chosen to call home.  I believe we should all defend what is ours and make every effort to improve our situation.  Nationalism is another thing entirely and I agree with you, Tim, it is an ugly thing.

I mentioned this a few times before.  While visiting the US Embassy in Manila, there was a protest (normally student activists from UP), and I saw a sign that said ---YANKEES GO HOME!   These students were wearing US made Levis and other foreign labels and they're shouting nationalism about promoting Filipino original ideas and products.  The lucrative business of reverse engineering, re-manufacturing and re-labeling industry is alive and well in the Philippines.  

My wife Judy is very vocal about the US politics and politicians.  I suggested that we go up north and become Canadian citizens.  Yeah......I'm still thinking about it.      

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

I suggested that we go up north and become Canadian citizens.  Yeah......I'm still thinking about it.      

To cold in the winter Jake, but don't worry, when you go deaf all that bulldust propaganda stops, believe me. :hystery:

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The Philippines first policy to my thinking has seriously held back development in the Philippine to the extent of now being the poor man of Asia. Will Trumps America first also be in the long run detrimental to the USA.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

egomaniacs with an inferiority complex 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I can't comment on the Phil's but as a Scot we have a strong nationalistic pride , it took me a few years but I managed to mellow it down a lot .

However that statement does not apply to sport 😁

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

as a Scot we have a strong nationalistic pride ,

Now? do you mean Patriotic or Nationalistic because it seems they are 2 different things