SRRV/SIRV bank, criminal background questions

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I have the SRRV Classic Visa and I have my SS check deposited directly into my Bank of America account, then I transfer funds from BOA to BDO Bank in the Philippines once every few months.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Saint Pat said:

Is it true that if you apply for SRRV visa that to qualify you must have your pensions paid directly into a Phils bank?

36 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I have the SRRV Classic Visa and I have my SS check deposited directly into my Bank of America account,

This would be a good time to point out that there are different categories of SRRV that depend on many things from your age to family size to your military service background.  Which SRRV would you want @Saint Pat 

popeye72 
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Saint Pat said:

Hi,

Thanks for responses.

I know you can buy land but cannot own it. Just lease arrangement. However I thought I read somewhere re the SRRV visa that if you invest in a property land/house build that the $10,000 (in my case due my age) could be used against the cost of such venture.

It may be worth a visit to the Philippines consolate before you decide to do anything. Get answers relevant to your specific circumstances. There is no embassy in Ireland but they have outreach from london through the ( some nationality ) consulate. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Regarding questions about the SRRV, there are PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) personnel available to walk retiree's through that process. Just contact the PRA. For example I met with a PRA staffer in Baguio who had a solo office there. I do not have an SRRV but met with the PRA to get information on it.

• Like 2

PeterC
Posted
Posted

We have an SRRV and have done so since 2016, it is for 5 years renewable and we are happy with it.  A UK friend we know used his deposit to lease a piece of land owned by his wife's family and then built a house on it. The PRA people scrutinize the lease agreement and i would think it best to seek their advice on the wording before obtaining it. If your Filipino wife has an foreign passport she can be the principal visa holder as a "Returning Filipino" making you the dependent, which is the way we did it, then the cost is 1500$, much cheaper.  The citizenship of your wife remains Filipino and always will be, at least its that way with us. We came up a wall when trying to buy land because the local land office would not transfer land to foreigners although the SRRV states that a foreigner can own a limited amount for residential purposes. We simply bought as normal with wife under her Filipino state and me as the foreigner (married to). 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, PeterC said:

We have an SRRV and have done so since 2016

Can you give the pros and cons of having that rather than a 13(a) "married to a filipina" permanent visa?

PeterC
Posted
Posted

The benefit of going the SRRV way is that a foreigner can do it alone and not be dependent on a Filipino wife. The other advantages of the SRRV are documented on their website such as no exit requirement, no reporting like the 13A (although I've heard that this has stopped).                      With the SRRV there is a free amount of personal effects allowed into the country tax free.  As years go by the benefits change usually for the better and all the differences can be seen on line. 

With an SRRV  you will not need an "Alien Certificate of Registration" commonly known as an "ACR"  that is required with the other types of visa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted
On 2/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, topcat72m said:

It may be worth a visit to the Philippines consolate before you decide to do anything. Get answers relevant to your specific circumstances. There is no embassy in Ireland but they have outreach from london through the ( some nationality ) consulate. 

I plan to do that. Thanks.

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, PeterC said:

The benefit of going the SRRV way is that a foreigner can do it alone and not be dependent on a Filipino wife. The other advantages of the SRRV are documented on their website such as no exit requirement, no reporting like the 13A (although I've heard that this has stopped).                      With the SRRV there is a free amount of personal effects allowed into the country tax free.  As years go by the benefits change usually for the better and all the differences can be seen on line. 

With an SRRV  you will not need an "Alien Certificate of Registration" commonly known as an "ACR"  that is required with the other types of visa.

Thank you.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, PeterC said:

If an SRRV holder does not have an ACR is their some form of local ID that they are given?

I had the impression (I may be wrong), that PI banks for example require an ACR to open an account?

• Hmm thinking 1