Power and Freedom Brings Out Who We Really Are

bows00
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

My advice is to change the 20% tip to a 20 peso tip.  Tipping big might give you a feel good factor at the time but in reality it causes more problems for the expat community.

My intent was not to make this another thread about tipping - there are separate threads about that.  i was trying the convey how the spending power, which leads to a sense of freedom brings out the best and worst in expats.  

But what I did not consider were the expats that didn't have any money to begin with... dunno, maybe there is no correlation here...

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, bows00 said:

i was trying the convey how the spending power, which leads to a sense of freedom brings out the best and worst in expats.  

True that.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, davewe said:

True power and freedom is the ability to adjust to whatever environment you are in. 

No true power and freedom is to be able to change whatever environment your in to suit you.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

No true power and freedom is to be able to change whatever environment your in to suit you

yeah, this is what I am trying to say.... I see it all the time where expats try to twist situations to their western expectations instead of going with the flow of the culture here.  Unfortunately, power and freedom, if used selfishly, can be quite disrespectful.  

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

In any country, including our own, people throwing money around can become unpopular very quickly - and poor!

I don't want to be too elementary, but isn't that a basic rule of money?  Regardless of where you are?  Throwing money around without any thought would always result in despair... no matter what your situation. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

No true power and freedom is to be able to change whatever environment your in to suit you.

We seem to have divided opinions on this.  I accept there is some validity in what you say but my thoughts are more in line with:

9 hours ago, davewe said:

True power and freedom is the ability to adjust to whatever environment you are in. 

I am thinking of the pioneers of old.  They did not settle somewhere and try to make their new environment to suit themselves.  They compromised to adapt and overcome obstacles so they could get along with everyone and still survive to freely pursue happiness. IMHO that gave them the feeling of power and freedom.

Again, its only my opinion, but I believe power and freedom are only feelings.  They are not tangible absolutes so it is impractical to talk about "True Power" or "True Freedom".  At any moment in time there is someone with more power who can come and take your feeling of power and freedom away.  

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, davewe said:

Completely agree, however I would go one step further and say that power and freedom lies in the ability to transfer that power to help others that need it and empower them to strive for the same.  I suppose we could call that charity but I there is a bit more to it in my opinion.

• Like 5