Power and Freedom Brings Out Who We Really Are

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Power and Freedom  :89: Hmmmmm Now there is a funny and to me, a contradictory Statement (Phrase maybe) I have a Good life here albeit expensive at times ( I am almost sure I have  one of the most expensive Families on the Forum) I worked hard and provided well for my Retirement But and there is always a but :571c66d400c8c_1(103): the "Power" I can wield has been my undoing at times (Eddie 1 touched on it) and Dave "H" echoed it another way, Because we can/could, we bought a car Great Hmmm not always. I write this because yet again I find my Freedom curtailed inthat our Princess Sprog.jpg 18 not 8 has rung to say "Daddy" fetch me at 1pm. Of course we have the car now and tricycles are not Cool when you have a "Daddy" that will drive me about like a chauffeur (dave was right on this)

So this Power as Eddie mentions can and for me  do have a Draw back and actually put me at a disadvantage when I try and make plans for myself. OH! I know we don't all have Kids but many here have taken kids on and as I have found out they soon become one of the Haves. Yes, I admit it may be my fault but she was only 8 when I came on the scene full time and :wow: we moan about slow learning but there is an Area that it is very quick :huh:  and our Buying power is it. ( I don't think many will disagree)

"Power and Freedom" sometimes do not go together, I know that the OP was probably meaning as a Single person it can be good but if anyone is looking for or in the early Stages of a Relationship Beware the Freedom diminishing, Some I daresay can/will say I still have mine But not where there are kids concerned. As with many, I thought I had got all that behind me and was Happy to be Grandpa, Got that so wrong Didn't I :whistling:

Would not want to be without her BUT :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling AGAIN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I thought I had got all that behind me and was Happy to be Grandpa, Got that so wrong Didn't I 

Maybe not.  At her age you may be a Happy Grandpa again somewhere down the road. :whistling: :popcorn: :shock_40_anim_gif: :cornflakes:

• Haha 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Maybe not.  At her age you may be a Happy Grandpa again somewhere down the road. :whistling: :popcorn: :shock_40_anim_gif: :cornflakes:

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Yea and then that will put some pressure on my "Power" (We all know what it is like here with Grandkids EH?)

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jack Peterson you cheap skate! Every princess should have her own car! Didn’t you know that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/02/2018 at 3:23 AM, bows00 said:

I don't want to be too elementary, but isn't that a basic rule of money?  Regardless of where you are?  Throwing money around without any thought would always result in despair... no matter what your situation. 

Yes..it is. That's why I posted it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted

Remember the original Spiderman movie?  "With great power comes great responsibility?"  (the quote originator has been debated as early as the 1700s).  In the US, starting NFL players and huge lottery jackpot winners go bankrupt all the time.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, AwesomeLife said:

Remember the original Spiderman movie?  "With great power comes great responsibility?"  (the quote originator has been debated as early as the 1700s).  In the US, starting NFL players and huge lottery jackpot winners go bankrupt all the time.

@ least the NFL players have the excuse of brain damage  :bonk::571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 2/11/2018 at 7:31 AM, Gary D said:

No true power and freedom is to be able to change whatever environment your in to suit you.

Unfortunately, this is why many ex-pats in the Philippines are miserable.  You never go to another country thinking you can change things to suit yourself.  You go to another country knowing you can't change things and willing to make changes in yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted

I’ve been reading and researching a lot more, especially focusing the stories where to plan was remain there forever but they decided to move back to their home country.  A common source of resentment for some is buying food, goods or dining and being overcharged and having to “battle” with the staff.  A solution seems to be to comfirm the price first.

• Like 1