Power and Freedom Brings Out Who We Really Are

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

you would not work for such a low wage.

Many would be surprised at what wage a foreigner would work for, if he can get work in Philippines.  The pay here is not bad.  How many times have we on this forum said that a foreigner can live comfortably on very little money?  Well the flip side is you only need to earn a little to live well.

When a foreigner gives a big tip to a local, he sees it as being kind and benevolent.  The filipino sees it as if he is a fisherman and he just caught a big one today..  It means he'll go back to that fishing hole again and again until its fished out.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 2/11/2018 at 8:33 PM, bows00 said:

My intent was not to make this another thread about tipping - there are separate threads about that.  i was trying the convey how the spending power, which leads to a sense of freedom brings out the best and worst in expats.

This post's comments seemed to have stayed more on the topic of tipping while living here.  I'd also like to hear more comments about how spending power might bring about a sense of freedom or satisfaction. Do you agree  with Bows's statement in his post?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

how spending power might bring about a sense of freedom or satisfaction.

Well Queenie, Nice post, bringing us back on topic :smile: can it be seen as "Can Money and it's spending power buy happiness, satisfaction and some security"? Of course it can but at a cost of many things, We for example rarely go out as a family if there are no helpers to hand, We have Dogs to protect what we have and at times they are much needed [ Fiest time is Thief time,  we know from experience] BUT we have to leave guards to see to the Dogs ( which frenzy a lot if left too long and have to be fed at a specific time for good Health) So as much as we have Freedom in one respect & the satisfaction of being OK! we miss out on a lot because we have it ( Trappings) Just as I write this I can say that right now I feel I am losing some freedom, I was due to go to Cebu next Thursday night as a family  for a long Weekend (To settle our Daughter into her new digs for University) We found out over the Last week or so that our 2 Trusted? helpers have been plotting to sabotage things. So my wife has now sent them both Home in some disgrace  (another Topic will be raised on this later) So our satisfaction and freedom (well mine) has been thwarted  because of Silliness on their part (based on haves and have nots) I wrote early on in this Topic and the more things happen the more it seems I was on the right line. I will agree however about Bows'  Statement on the best and worst for foreigners having this power but we should think what we preach to others in that we sometimes can be our own worst enemy. Moderation I think is what we should base our own life on, In this particular case I did not and it looks like I am going to pay for it [pun intended]  

:508: Rant over :whistling: Not so much a rant as not thinking straight sometimes :wink:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

"Can Money and it's spending power buy happiness, satisfaction and some security"? Of course it can

I only quoted this small bit to make a point.  Yes money can buy happiness, satisfaction and some security, but there is no guarantee.

I raise the point of the foreigner who recently committed suicide in Cebu (or so the police report says here).  He had money and power, by all accounts, but still ate his gun.  In my life, I have noted that the incidence of those who are unhappy enough to commit suicide does not depend on their wealth or status.  I draw the conclusion that money can "assist" with your happiness if you are already a happy person, but that is the limit of my agreement with your statement.  Actually, for some people, the pursuit of money brings a type of happiness but once they have got it then the game is over and they don't know what to do with themselves, so they go off chasing more.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes money can buy happiness, satisfaction and some security, but there is no guarantee.

:89: Hmmmm Yes! but if you had put the rest of the quote you may have seen that it said at a cost of many things That was my meaning but I am sure you may now think on that, nothing is guaranteed as my little tale alluded to but then, it is Tuesday and I am busy doing Housework helpers.jpg In the absence of our 2 it seems to have fallen to me :wink: but then it will only hurt a short while :smile: That bit I will guarantee, maybe my wonderful wife will think with her head nextime and not her anger and mouth Love her as I do she has cost me (my satisfaction of Retirement at this time)  and added to some stress  cells up there in my home of the Numskulls :2245_safe:

Then of course it was not meant as a Statement it was really a Question

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

if you had put the rest of the quote

Mea culpa :bonk:

• Love it 1

• 3 weeks later...
KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2018 at 11:04 PM, JJReyes said:

We were told as children that beggars are drug addicts, drunks and gamblers. The children were working for syndicates and very little money goes to them. We are only encouraging them to continue begging when they should look for a job. 

I never give to begging children, but not for the reasons you mentioned. IMO, if a kid can make money begging in the street, it will quickly realize that going to school is a waste of time - it could be making money rather than learning something, which seems useless to him/her at the time. On the other hand, if it comes home empty handed, begging will be the waste of time, and going to school becomes the useful option. So I do think we have a responsibility to send them home empty handed, for the sake of their future, and even the future of the country, which needs qualified workers. 

Edited by KurtVD

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

I never give to begging children, but not for the reasons you mentioned. IMO, if a kid can make money begging in the street, it will quickly realize that going to school is a waste of time - it could be making money rather than learning something, which seems useless to him/her at the time. On the other hand, if it comes home empty handed, begging will be the waste of time, and going to school becomes the useful option. So I do think we have a responsibility to send them home empty handed, for the sake of their future, and even the future of the country, which needs qualified workers. 

How will the kid pay for books and things to go to school? 

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

How will the kid pay for books and things to go to school? 

I don’t know if it needs money for that or if the government provides these things here in the Philippines, however I’m willing to bet that most kids who are begging won’t buy school supplies with their income. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

I don’t know if it needs money for that or if the government provides these things here in the Philippines, however I’m willing to bet that most kids who are begging won’t buy school supplies with their income. 

True they wont but school does not provide food either. You have to spend money to go to school here. You might even have to donate to some of the teachers needs.

• Like 1