Power and Freedom Brings Out Who We Really Are

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2018 at 9:18 PM, AwesomeLife said:

A solution seems to be to comfirm the price first.

That would be nice if it worked.I have tried quite a few times but there always seems to be the excuse yes sir but you have to pay for this even when I have asked for the price of everything needed.

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

That would be nice if it worked.I have tried quite a few times but there always seems to be the excuse yes sir but you have to pay for this even when I have asked for the price of everything needed.

in a land where nothing ever has a price tag on it , its simply caveat emptor and good luck. my wife has been invaluable in that respect. ruthless negotiator puts it mildly. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, lobojohn said:

my wife has been invaluable in that respect. ruthless negotiator puts it mildly. 

OH Yes! how I so agree with this and so should we all if we want to keep the stress levels down  :wink:

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

OH Yes! how I so agree with this and so should we all if we want to keep the stress levels down  :wink:

i regard it as one of the great PERKS of having a mature pinay wife. who else would go into SM and try to negotiate the price of a pair of sandals to last years price? i love it. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If you give to the school I doubt it will go on the kids

We have sponsored a number of children by paying for their tuition, but this was at a private Christian based school.  It would be more of a challenge for a public school where you would have to buy supplies, uniforms, etc and give them to students.  We also paid 4 years of college tuition for a young lady who now has her degree in criminology/law enforcement.  Putting a  non-relative through college is a risk, but we are hoping that we can break the cycle of poverty for her.   We were able to attend her graduation this April and to see her tears of joy and appreciation was truly gratifying.  So yes, sometimes money can buy happiness . . . .  even if it is for someone else. 

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have sponsored several nieces and nephews over the years, I don't think one of them stayed the course. Back to begging, giving to beggers in the Philippines is illegal so I hope you aren't condoning this illegal act.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gary D said:

giving to beggers in the Philippines is illegal so I hope you aren't condoning this illegal act.

That is an interesting point.  I know that mendicancy is illegal (pure begging).  But as soon as the beggar picks up 2 sticks and bangs them together then he is an entertainer or busker.  That does not seem to be illegal.

There are many who go from store to store or person to person and sing or bang sticks together until you give them money to go away and it seems to avoid the law.  Even in the airports and ferry terminals, there are entertainers (often claiming to be blind - not sure if they really are)  who play some kind of music in hopes that people will drop coins in the hat.  This seems to be allowed.

So when do they arrest people for giving to beggars?

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

The more time I spend in PH the easier it seems for me to not give to beggers. Sometime when I see a women sitting on a piece of cardboard or such with a couple of babies I will drop some peso in her cup. In the PH if you want to eat you have to work and I see begging as working. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

there are entertainers (often claiming to be blind - not sure if they really are)  who play some kind of music in hopes that people will drop coins in the hat.  This seems to be allowed.

That'd be busking not begging isn't it?  Entertaining for tips?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

That'd be busking not begging isn't it?  Entertaining for tips?

Absolutely.  And that's where I am going with this.  If someone sings a song "Hey Joe, give me money Joe, and I'll go!" then is he entertaining for tips?  I have seen buskers/beggars and similar people shooed away from Fuentes Circle in Cebu when certain events are planned, but they are always back when the enforcement stops.  What I have not seen, is anyone getting fined for giving to them.  Kind of a useless law, don't you think?  Unless someone knows of a case where a fine was meted out and enforced?

• Like 1