Items from your old life

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was advised by a tax lawyer to be wary of having any 'official' connection to the UK - he specifically mentioned a valid driving licence.

:89: Did he say why? :huh:

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Did he say why? :huh:

Well I'm sure it is a little different in England.  But I had a similar experience with my tax lawyer in Maryland.  Remember all US citizens are subject to US taxes.  Additionally each state has it's own tax.  Maryland for example is 13.5%.  To avoid this he told me to return the Maryland drivers license and voter id card so there would be no ties to be subject to Maryland taxes.  There are several states that have no state taxes.  Florida being one of them and since I have family there and a registered mailing address, I can choose to be a resident with Florida voter ID and Drivers license and yes it is legal.  So Jack, it may be similar for some in England to avoid some taxes.  Maybe:89:

Edited by intrepid
spell

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, intrepid said:

So Jack, it may be similar for some in England to avoid some taxes.  Maybe:89:

Not that  would have thought as the license is a UK thing and  not a county thing so it would not matter where you live we would all pay the same tax but then if the issue is on tax I see it makes no difference, we have a double tax agreement and thus only pay tax there or here in the PI not Both. On the Other hand, it could be a Duck and dive situation and some may not want to be found, now that I could Understand. Maybe HK will answer. I might Add that Tax Avoidance is imprisonable in the UK So if it is that then it could get messy i guess. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

I might Add that Tax Avoidance is imprisonable in the UK So if it is that then it could get messy i guess. :shock_40_anim_gif:

Are you sure about that?   Because Tax evasion is defined as 'the illegal evasion of taxes by individuals, corporations and trusts' where as Tax avoidance is defined as 'the legal use of tax laws to reduce one's tax burden'.

Of course what is legal in one country (and therefore avoidance there) may be against the law in another (and hence evasion there) but the principal still applies within a particular jurisdiction. 

Edited by GeoffH

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Are you sure about that?   Because Tax evasion is defined as 'the illegal evasion of taxes by individuals, corporations and trusts' where as Tax avoidance is defined as 'the legal use of tax laws to reduce one's tax burden'.

Of course what is legal in one country (and therefore avoidance there) may be against the law in another (and hence evasion there) but the principal still applies within a particular jurisdiction. 

Thank You for the explanation,:wink: it still all sounds Dodgy to me :rolleyes:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I renewed my licence just last year nd was fortunate to get another 10 years. I managed that as my licence only had 9 months left on it. If you have over one year left you only get the one year on your replacement.

Legally we should all as UK residents informed the HMRC of our new address in the Philippines. As has been said we have a dual tax agreement anyway.

If you are overseas and wish to have a new UK licence after it expires you will be required to take a driving test. I think the cut off time was 2 years out of country when I looked it up.  

Edited by Snowy79

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I renewed my licence just last year nd was fortunate to get another 10 years. I managed that as my licence only had 9 months left on it. If you have over one year left you only get the one year on your replacement.

Legally we should all as UK residents informed the HMRC of our new address in the Philippines. As has been said we have a dual tax agreement anyway.

If you are overseas and wish to have a new UK licence after it expires you will be required to take a driving test. I think the cut off time was 2 years out of country when I looked it up.  

Do you know if you could drive on your phills licence in the UK?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Do you know if you could drive on your phills licence in the UK?

Yes you can, I have had 4 employees at my old company that did. The International rules are the same.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Thank You for the explanation,:wink: it still all sounds Dodgy to me :rolleyes:

Nothing dodgy or sinister in my case Jack.

I have money in 2 offshore accounts - not dodgy ones either I'll add - and as I'm not a UK resident I'm entitied to have the interest paid tax-free. 

Having a UK addess MIGHT bring into question the tax-free status of my interest payment. That's why the advisor said to be wary.

The reciprocal tax arrangement is irrelevant as the income i mention is not taxable in the Philippines as this country operates a global income system for Filipino nationals only, not foreigners.

It's as simple as that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's as simple as that.

:thumbsup: I do so Hope so HK, I learnt some years ago ( very much to my loss) that Offshore Banking and Tax implications are rarely Just Simple, Hopefully YMMV :wink: 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1